CEL and Traction Control Indicator Lit

Ace37

Reaction score
Well, I'm a dumb***. Was late to a very important meeting this morning so I was sort of pushing the car through the traffic. About 20-30 minutes of this and when I was at a stop light I felt some sputter and the CEL was now illuminated. On take off same sputter but worse until about 5k rpm. We'll got to work and when I left out about 8 hours later, same sputter and not the traction control indicator light was in with the CEL. Went straight to autozone and had the obd read. Turned up a misfire in cylinders 1,2,3,4,and 5 (I have the v6). This only started happening after I was driving erratically like a dumb*** so hopefully it's just the plugs but could oil have infiltrated the plug holes? And why would this cause the Traction Control Indicator to come on, the roads are perfectly dry and not rough.

james'99

Reaction score
Traction control light comes on because when there is a misfire, the ECM doesn't have complete control over the engine so it cannot properly control traction so therefore it won't even try. So your only actual issue is the misfire. Checked your bio, you have a 2001 which means you have a coil on plug setup so being that is the case, you don't have a distributor failure or anything of the sort. Oil could have gone in the wells, but 5 of them at a time is highly unlikely.

Is the CEL flashing?

Did you get gas somewhere recently different than usual?

Has your EGR valve and port been serviced?

I would pull the backup fuse in the passenger fuse box to force the CEL off, leave it out for 10 seconds, put it back in and see how quickly it throws it again.

Connie

Reaction score
If the engine ran hot then the cop's can get fried. When my original engine overheated and I replaced it, 4 of the 6 cop's were misfiring after. The heat killed them. But if you didn't overheat they should be fine.

FNCONE

Reaction score
I had the same codes once. I knew I didn't have 4 out of 6 misfiring, I just unplugged each coil-pack while the car was on (quickly if you notice a change just plug it right back in) when the engine sounded different or worst I knew that coil and spark plug was fine. When I pulled one that didn't change the engine noise or misfire I knew that was the dead one. Then I swapped out with one of the good coil-packs to confirm (switch them with the car off). It ended up being just 1 coil pack . Quick 50 dollar fix at autozone. I bought it popped it in and took off the back up fuse for 5 minutes.

Ace37

Reaction score
Traction control light comes on because when there is a misfire, the ECM doesn't have complete control over the engine so it cannot properly control traction so therefore it won't even try. So your only actual issue is the misfire. Checked your bio, you have a 2001 which means you have a coil on plug setup so being that is the case, you don't have a distributor failure or anything of the sort. Oil could have gone in the wells, but 5 of them at a time is highly unlikely.

Is the CEL flashing?

Did you get gas somewhere recently different than usual?

Has your EGR valve and port been serviced?

I would pull the backup fuse in the passenger fuse box to force the CEL off, leave it out for 10 seconds, put it back in and see how quickly it throws it again.

Yes the CEL is flashing. And no I only use shell and Texaco. And yes it has. Where exactly is this fusebox located please.

Ace37

Reaction score
If the engine ran hot then the cop's can get fried. When my original engine overheated and I replaced it, 4 of the 6 cop's were misfiring after. The heat killed them. But if you didn't overheat they should be fine.
Didn't overheat thankfully so wasn't that

Ace37

Reaction score
I had the same codes once. I knew I didn't have 4 out of 6 misfiring, I just unplugged each coil-pack while the car was on (quickly if you notice a change just plug it right back in) when the engine sounded different or worst I knew that coil and spark plug was fine. When I pulled one that didn't change the engine noise or misfire I knew that was the dead one. Then I swapped out with one of the good coil-packs to confirm (switch them with the car off). It ended up being just 1 coil pack . Quick 50 dollar fix at autozone. I bought it popped it in and took off the back up fuse for 5 minutes.
Will Def try In the morning thanks

Ace37

Reaction score
Also, don't know if this helps to know or not, but my mpg has DRAMATICALLY decreased since this started, feels like a have a V8 4×4 again

Oh yea, and my exhaust is sputtering with thr engine too of course, frequency of it speeds up when I'm accelerating and eventually tapers off under higher speeds but Def can hear it out the tailpipe at lower speeds and idle. And forgot to mention, before all of this I took it to Honda for the airbag recall and they of course did thr multi point inspection and one red flag was a valve cover gasket.... I'm thinking when I was driving how I was thr oil developed more pressure and force and seeped into the slots for the spark plugs and fouled em up.

Last edited:
Back