Multiple Engine Oil Reviews: a MUST READ for ALL Enthusiasts !

NINaudio

Reaction score
the testing is severely flawed and has almost no real world relation to engine use.

First of all, the oils are all different weights

They don't tell us if they are heated up to operating temps or run cold. If they're running them cold, this would indicate to me that this would be a worst case scenario test ie you turn your car on and then floor it in neutral to "warm it up" or something retarded like that. And honestly, if you're that stupid I don't care if your engine blows up.

3rd, they don't say what the bearing they use is made of. Is it high strength steel, or iron, or aluminum, wtf is it made of? Exactly how hard is it?

from here: "It was generally assumed that the higher the O.K. value, the more load the lube could hold without the film strength being compromised. However, this is not necessarily the case, and the primary purpose of the test is to determine whether or not the lube has an EP additive. Values higher than 35lbs. Indicate the presence of an EP additive."

that's all I have to say about their testing for now...

Edit: so I'm saying take the results with a big grain of salt

sikjdm

Reaction score
ive used royal purple for a while, and now i know to keep using it!
royal purple ftw..

eDub

Reaction score
i have been a royal purple fan/user for 1 1/2 years now and now i see no reason to change now

SpiKeZ

Reaction score
quick question..
ive been using regular oil and just changing it frequently (about 3000 miles) because i drive in the city a lot. if i start to use synthetic oil like valvone or royal purple how often should i change my oil? if i dont have to change it as often will i have to change my oil filter more than i chnage the oil? or should i just use a high quality filter? i really wouldnt mind paying more money for oil if i can change it less & it has better quality.

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score
How many miles on your car?
If you have a lot of miles I would NOT switch to synthetic unless you are prepared for leaks from every seal. There is nothing wrong with regular old dino oil. It's been working just fine for what? Like 100 years?
I use Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic Blend 10w30 and change every 5k miles or 4 months. I have a 2000 Accord LX 5spd with 131k and change, and a 95 Accord EX V6 with 121k and change. the 2000 doesn't leak a drop of oil. the 95 leaks some, but not too bad. I also didn't even notice till a few weeks ago that the MaxLife I had been using was Syn Blend (Duh, my dumb @ss never read the label past Valvoline Maxlife and 10w30)
www.bobistheoilguy.com is a forum full of oil freaks. If you register there, you should be able to find an answer to almost any oil question you have.

SpiKeZ

Reaction score
my car has about 87k miles on it. i was just wondering because it seems like they're making synthetic far more superior than regular oil. i figured, if i can spend a little more on each oil change and change the oil less frequently...why not? plus as shown in these tests and from what everyone says, royal purple and valvoline are pretty good oils that offer a lot of protection, probably more protection than mineral oil

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
i think royal purple is a waste of money unless you are running a high performance built engine.
royal purple is not going to do you any better than your leading synthetic brand.
having a turbo engine or a built engine would utilize the propertis of royal purple better because they have to.
but a stock f23 would never see temperatures that royal purple is said to withstand.
it's like using a cast for a papercut. way overkill.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
This test obviously doesn't represent real world conditions, i would only use this as reference. But, the main thing i want to mention is you are probably better off sticking to one oil for basically the life of the car than trying to find the best and constantly switching. I've done this with all the cars i've owned and have never had any internal engine problems on any car i've owned...EVER. I know a bunch of people in the dsm world with 200k+ miles. It seems the people who haven't had a rebuild are usually the ones that follow the same method as me. Pick an oil that is good and just stick with it.

Back