Jiffy Lube: oil changes?

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Is it true that to do oil changes, Jiffy Lube has you park your car over this small port-like thing and then a worker goes down some stairs and does the oil change, instead of jacking the car up? My dad was telling me about it. But it's been many many years since he's worked at Jiffy Lube. I could just go and see for myself but I'm lazy haha. Was wondering if anyone here already knew so I could make sure.

I can't seem to find a way to do my oil change. Can't fit the jack underneath. Do you guys think maybe two people could lift the car a tiny bit from the side so I could squeeze it in? Maybe have a third person fold up my side skirt.

tunerbum147

Reaction score
some places do. their called pits. they used to be alot more common but i think in a new building their illegal. but dont quote me on that. the one in my area i believe does have the pits so should just go and check it out. probally a good chance they will. i have seen more than one with them

sodaks2k

Reaction score
Yes Jiffy Lube has pits. This decreases the time it can take to put the vehicles of lifts. Unfortunately for you (and others) there are "lips" on all sides of the pits to protect the workers from cars being driven into the pits. You're car may be too low and hit the lips. Besides, don't take your car to Jiffy lube! There are way too many horror stories out there.

What you can do it drive your car up on a/some 2x4 inch wood planks. I made "ramps" out of 2x4's and they work great. If I was at home I would take pictures for you.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Most places like Jiffy do utilize this setup.

If I were you I'd invest in an aluminum racing jack. It has a lower profile to get under a lower car and there is no risk of injury to people or the car. They're a little more $ than regular 2-tons but in your situation I'd say it's worth it. Just buy one when they go on sale. Done. :thumbsup:

sodaks2k

Reaction score
If I were you I'd invest in an aluminum racing jack. It has a lower profile to get under a lower car and there is no risk of injury to people or the car. They're a little more $ than regular 2-tons but in your situation I'd say it's worth it. Just buy one when they go on sale. Done. :thumbsup:

Excellent advise as well. I use my ramps and my aluminum jack both. I usually put a 4x4 between the jack and jacking point so I can get the car off the ground even more.

You can find coupons in the back of motor trend and car and driver for this jack at harbor freight for $59.99!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039

SykVSyx

Reaction score
If you trust Jiffy Lube, use them........:skurred:

If you have a couple family members/friends that can lift the car while you get the jack under there, then great. That's what my mechanic has to do to get the car jacked up a bit and then put the hoist underneath.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
most shops like that are usually ok with low profile cars.. teh valvoline around me has long ramps to accomidate for my slammed accord..

changaroo

Reaction score
drive up on some 2x4's problem solved :)

i can barely fit my race jack under w/o doing 2x4's first.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
drive up some phone books to get ur jack under the car.... jiffy lube is $$$

Back