Anyone here dyed their seats (cloth)?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
This winter I was planning on redoing my interior. I used some cheapish suede on the door pannels and it faded, etc. I was originally going to go leather on my car but I actually like cloth better. Being parked outside with no tint in cali, my seats are really faded in back. I already want to do the headliner and pillars since I don't get why they are cream colored, I was thinking about doing the seats at the same time.

Anyone done this and had it actually hold up? Did you do a spray or an actual wash in dye? What brand?

hotaccord243

Reaction score
This isn't going to be too much of a help, but hopefully give you a good idea....

I've done the cheap die from Michaels on some items on my interior and that was about a year ago and it looks horrible and rubs off and gets everywhere. DO NOT GO CHEAP!!!

I know I have heard of people dying certain things and it working very well and holding up. Although to my knowledge with a seat having being used so often, it will not hold up very well to the wear and tear that a seat will get.

If you are going to do something and want to change it... take off the cover and try to mimick it with new fabric and sew it all together, but it will be much easier for you to take it to a interior shop and have them fab up a seat cover to your liking.

Hope that helps.

If you need help with any other style wrapping let me know, My headliner, rear deck and misc items are done, and now working on the visors, and moving on to door panels, pillars, etc. (it's really easy by the way, just time consuming...)

hotaccord243

Reaction score
No problem!

I believe there is some way to possibly die leather for sure that can withstand wear and tear. As far as our seats (unless there's someone else that knows more...) have too thin of a fabric to die in my opinion, in otherwords, not like an ultra-plush style fabric, especially if you have used your seats for a lengthy period of time, So to die them would be pretty difficult....

I'm sure it is possible, but all in all a better way would be to re-upholster the misc items in your car. It not only looks better, but your starting out fresh. Just don't go with a cheap fabric. Look for sales at fabric stores, then you can find them at a decent price.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I really don't want to deal with it if I am redoing the whole interior. I will just do everything but the seats. But there has to be a way, I mean, all the clothes we wear are dyed.

l34merik

Reaction score
Wow I was gonna do that too but I'm probably gonna try n do a swap. You think 7th gens would fit?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I did some research and found a product called "simply spray" that is available in craft stores. It needs 72 hours to dry though. As much as I want to test it on the back seats, I know I should do the driver's seat first probably as if it doesn't work there, It isn't going to work at all. If anyone is going to ruin their clothes, it should be me as well.

I am considering doing this soon, I just don't know when I will have 3 days where I can go on without a car. The other seats I can do. If/when I try this, I will let people know how it goes and especially if it holds up.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I am going to try to find this dye today. It sounds like this is more like painting a car than I thought. Prepwork seems to be key. I am going to try my headrest first. If it holds up, I will make a DIY thread. I don't want to do my whole interior until I am sure that it works. More importantly, I want to make sure it will not rub off on me, or my passengers. I will take pics if I can find the stuff.

Back