High beam duct DIY

turboaccord98

Reaction score
Ok this is something I've wanted to do ever since I saw this in modified mag 5 years ago on the red and white time attack cyber evo. I just happened to have an extra set of headlights and a few weeks off from school so thought I would give it a try. So here we go.

This is the finished product. I still haven't installed it yet since it's been raining here in WA
kjhn.jpg
[/IMG].

I started out by cutting part of the back out to make room for the tube that would go to the intake. In doing this it removed the headlight adjusters so before I started cutting I secured the chrome piece by bonding in pieces of foam above and below. So basically it is'nt adjustable anymore, oh well.
1213101336a.jpg
[/IMG]

Since I cut this part out I had to put something there to cover it up so water would'nt get in. This is a basic wet layup with chop strand fiberglass.
1215101457a.jpg
[/IMG]

1215101553.jpg
[/IMG]

I also went ahead and cut out the shape I wanted in the lense for the duct. The next step was to generously cover the lense with aluminum foil and masking tape so that I could do a fiberglass layup on the lense without damaging it. Before the layup I placed the tube in the headlight the way I wanted it. Now it was time for the fiberglass.
1223101233.jpg
[/IMG]

After a few layers of plain weave fiberglass, the part could be popped out along with the tape and aluminum foil. At this point the tube was bonded to the fiberglass so it's all one piece.
1223101610.jpg
[/IMG]

I drew the line to cut it out and then did a test fit.
1223101610.jpg
[/IMG]

1223101937.jpg
[/IMG]

Now it was time for the hard labor. First I sanded the fiberglass part and from there I added bondo where it was needed. I started with 60 grit and worked all the way up to 2000. This literally took me 6 hours.
1224101249.jpg
[/IMG]

Now it was time for paint.
untitled.jpg
[/IMG]

After paint and clear I went over it with 1000 1500 and 2000 grit then cleared it again. Then finally I buffed it with turtle wax polishing compound. I put the entire assembly together using polyurethane sealant on all the spots I thought might leak and riveted the fiberglass part onto the lense.

My plan is to build a carbon fiber air box to have this tube go to but thats all for now hope you guys like it. Reps are much appreciated.

Update

I got it installed along with my new Benen tow hooks. My car is still dirty though I apoligize.
1228101416.jpg
[/IMG]

1228101414.jpg
[/IMG]

1228101423.jpg
[/IMG]

1228101435.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
lol right now? about $17 hhaha all my money is tied up in my turbo build. how much did all this cost you in parts?

Latest posts

Back