why are so many mechanics so bad?

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
Will never bring to dealership. EVER. Only trust my two mechanics. Best thing you can, research the symptoms of your problem, but parts to fix it so they dont buy them and overcharge, then tell them to install it. That can go for most problems, as it will only take some research to find some effective methods or diagnosing problems with your car, or asking a friend who knows. I've found that successful with every problem I have faced with my car.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yeah the dealer charges about double what a private shop would charge, how ever, you pay for what you get. a dealship stands by there work and will fix any issues with no problem because they warrenty all of there parts and labor, where as a private shop will give you a major hastle and try to charge you a little extra to fix something that they F'd up on and on top of that they do not warrenty there parts the way the dealship does, and the warrenty if any dosent cover labor like the dealer does.
personaly id rather go to the dealer if its something that i cant fix on my own and or if its a major repair. and there are a few things that are the same in price if not close in price and there are a few things that are free, like my SRS light i had rest for free at my local honda dealer.
yep, no truth to be found in this post.

and i even looked...
elaborate plz!!
they "advise" customers on related or non-related repairs.

like, "your _____ are starting to show wear" or "the ______ only have x amount of miles left so it would be cheaper to change them now."

ever notice how lots of places have checklists they give to you after the service you came in for is completed?

but like in any business, there's dishonest people. blanket statements, like "intel's" above, are just silly because there's no universal.

juiCyyaccOrd

Reaction score
^ pretty much

And they have a list of laws that you go by and the things you "can" or "cannot" do when it comes to a certain situation with your car. They can get away with technicalities if they know their shyt with that list if a customer ever decides to sue or whatever. It's messed up lol

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
Ill be the first to say that im no great wrench artist. That being said between the manual,lurkin around here, and many safety meetings (cough cough choke) ive been able to save myself some pretty serious dough.( thanks guys) I use the money saved to buy better parts,tools,etc. Some jobs are still to big for my garage so a trustworthy mech is vital. Its just a shame they are so hard to find

slowrider87

Reaction score
i'm in school for this crap. they teach us similar things. but they don't approach it like we're scamming. our instructors never tell us to tell someone they "NEED" something unless they actually do need it. they tell us to "recommend" and offer to show the customer in person if possible or explain honestly why other work could be helpful. my instructors always make a point to do it right the first time because if a customer comes back complaining you're going to end up redoing it wasting your time and not making money by doing it over.

Private shop or dealer. A good mechanic is an honest mechanic. And an honest mechanic doesn't charge to redo something they didn't get right the first time. And them knowing that will keep them most likely to get it right the first time, every time.

intel0116

Reaction score
yep, no truth to be found in this post.

and i even looked....

Serria Honda
1450 S Shamrock Ave Monrovia, CA 91016
(626) 359-8291
do your "looking" there, because thats the place where i based the information in my previous post form. it my not be "universal" but at least it would be helpful info for people in socal to know
especially since the SRS light reset is a common issue and they fix it for free ! you cant beat that.

Last edited:

Brad2274

Reaction score
i only get parts from the dealers, and anything really difficult (ie timing belt) i have done at my auto tech teachers shop lol, everything else i do on my own, cant trust nobody

intel0116

Reaction score
and actually i have a great example, i need to get all of my motor mounts and tranny mounts replaced, took it to a local shop that a family member goes to, long story short, labor is 8 hours, says so in the service manual he showd me, at $75 an hour thats an even $600 just for labor. plus another $500 (mind you i need the 3 motor mounts and 2 trany mounts) for parts because i dont want a cheep set of autozone mounts that wont last so i go with the ones from the dealer that come with a warrenty, thats $1100 with no warrenty covering labor. so i check the dealer to see what theyd charge, i was quoted 1050 parts and labor, and that includes a 1 year warrenty on both the parts and labor. where would you go if you dident have the tools and mechanical knowledge ?

again i said "SOMETIMES !! " the dealer can be the same price and or cheeper.... "SOMETIMES !! "

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back