Hello, new possible owner.

K2114

Reaction score
Hey fella's joined up here today because I may be picking up a 6GA. Its a 98, 4 door LX, I4- auto. 185K trans rebuilt ago 2k ago with proof/receipts. Its got a mild drop and some offbrand 18's. And best of all its my favorite color, emerald green! Has minor back bumper damage..scratched/chipped paint from backing into a pole I guess & the rear door handle doesn't work. Both easy fixes.
Car can be seen here: (let me know what you think)
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3248059423.html

I joined because I hope to become a memeber of this community & well, because I need the run down on these cars. I know these cars run a f23a1? vtec. Not much in the way of power gains unless you do forced induction which is fine by me, more of a clean dd vs a fast car. But whats common issues or concerns? What should I be checking/looking for?
I used to be a fairly big honda guy before I got wrapped up in prerunners. So I'm not totally in the dark here.

001Stunna

Reaction score
-Check VIN # (get a carfax report)
-Check the car body for dents etc...stay in an angle and look at the body lines to see if theres been bodywork done...if you see ripples and not a straight reflection then somethings off
-Check for even gaps at all doors to see if maybe a door has been replaced
-Check interior for rips, stains, or water marks if the vehicle has been flooded previously, look for moisture under the carpets
-Open the engine and check all fluid levels and make notice of any possible oil leaks/coolant leaks
-Check all electrical stuff from A-Z and make sure it all works
-Check A/C both Hot and Cold
-Get sum1 to start the car and see what color smoke blows out the exhaust, If blue the car is burning oil, if white its burning coolant
-Tranny fluid should not have a burnt smell, and should be clean and transparent
-Check for delayed engagement...With the transmission in "P" (Park) start the car and allow to heat to operating temp. With your foot holding down the brake pedal, shift to the "R" (Reverse) position. Almost immediately the transmission should engage - it feels like the car wants to creep backward. This should happen very smoothly, without a strong jerk or jolt.
Shift to "N" (Neutral) and give it 2-3 seconds, and the transmission should disengage. Now, again holding the brakes, shift to the "D" (Drive) position. Again, the transmission should engage without a delay - you will feel the car wants to creep forward. This also should be without a strong jerk or jolt.
If there is a notable delay (more than 1 seconds) between the moment you shift and the moment the transmission engages, transmission is either too worn or has some problem. During a test-drive the transmission should shift between gears very smoothly without delays, jolts, slipping or shudder.
-Press down on each corner of the car and see if the car keeps on bouncing after you let go, if so it suspension is worn out (you can pop the hood/trunk and push on the frame so you do not dent the body)
-Test drive the car both in highway speeds and street speeds
-Ask to see if and when timing belt and waterpump were done (ask if the balance shaft/cam seal were changed and if the cam seal retainer was installed)
-After the test drive park the car but dont turn it off, let it run for 3-5 mins and then move the car and look in the pavement for any leaks.
-Open the engine bay and look for leaks under the distributor, around the valve cover, any coolant leaks etc (any place where leaks were not there before)
-Get the car to a mechanic you trust to check the suspension and a general overall check.
-Check for rust both underbody and upper (gas lines/brake lines especially and subframes)

Last edited:

LeAccord

Reaction score
Well ... ^that pretty much covers everything :lawl:

Welcome to the site. Hope all checks come out fine and you get a nice deal.

K2114

Reaction score
I ended up with this last night actually. Traded my jeep for it, we kept own own decks..mine was far better lol.
Its a decent little car. I've already ordered a few parts in the way of a 5 lug swap. I want to run 8th gen accord rims for a clean subtle look. Also fixing a few things...like the duct taped stock intake tube..SMH. Looks like someone was to lazy to disconnect it at both ends or something and juts bent it out of the way, and it tore.
I also ordered some Dynomatt as well..idk how much I'll need to cover everything but we will see. Gonna pull the interior, clean the carpet & seats (pretty spotless as is). And do a black headliner & black trim from the windows up..Not digging the full tan look.

cjsaccord

Reaction score
Welcome to the club! Its about time we get some more SoCal members.
Any reason you didn't pick up a 5-speed instead?

K2114

Reaction score
Truth is I wanted a 5speed sedan. The soon to be fiance can't drive one though!:ownedrun: Having a child I needed the 4 doors..so I settled because of her really. But its all part of the bigger picture:rock:
This car came up cash or trade..I had my current daily which was a jeep & 4k cash saved..fella wanted to trade for the jeep which was to be my offroad toy. I did it! It would of just been a money pit & probably would of been ruined within a few years anyway!
Now the bigger picture is, keep this sedan, 5lug swap, 8th gen accord wheels & then leave it alone. Find a Dc2 & leave the sedan to the fiance by next January hopefully. I'd like to get back into a Dc2 and have a fun track prep'd daily driver like I use to. I live 20 minutes from Button Willow & I die not going there anymore!

This car was just repainted, DEG (dark emerald green..factory color?) ..emerald green just happens to be my favorite color! 1 minor issue is the back bumper has scratches/chips from them backing into a pole..its pretty well spotless inside..no tears or anything. Completely stock outside of the Koni's & ground controls. The trans was also just rebuilt with a year warranty..rebilds not even a month old yet.
The soon to be fiance agreed since she would be getting this car soon enough, that instead of her getting the 4k for a car we would spend a little on the sedan & the rest was mine to do what I want with. Some put away for my Dc2 & some is going to getting my motor built.. I'm gonna do some maitenance..replace ball joints, tre's ect. Do a rear sway bar with moog ends. The konis & ground control setup is decent and will stay. Since I personally won't keep the car, I'll just replace & fix the minor stuff, do a 5lug swap with 8th gen accord wheels & leave it to the fiance.
This car really just gave me what I wanted truthfully. An out on my jeep..selling it would of fetched maybe 2500..its got around 6-7k invested..theres just not to much market cause they can be built so cheap. So now I can get back into a Dc2 and get back on the track! I have 1 complete Ls short block. 2 b16 heads, 1 with ITR manifold & cams, and 1 complete b18c1 long block in my garage still, as well as an assortment of other parts..so with the money put away I'm rebuilding the fraken-gsr, nothing special at all!
b18c1 block, ls crank & rods, b16 head with ITR cams & ported ITR manifold. Around 10.5-11:1..just simple, strong, reliable all motor on pump gas!

Sedans plans are dynomatt, pull & clean everything. Muffler swap to something cleaner looking. Install my headunit & do a 5 lug swap with Legend Gs calipers, on 8th gen accord wheels.
I fixed the torn intake pipe with some 2.5" intercooler pipe/intake pipe..keeping stock box, removed resonator..finished this today!
I've got my old apexi safc II off my old project and could install that..maybe gain mileage but I'm gonna keep it simple & clean. I'll save the real money spending for a Dc2 when I get one.

Last edited:

K2114

Reaction score
This is the goal. Except maybe dark charcoal or black on the wheels, with black headlight housings and no lip.

6thgenaccordon8thgenwheels2.jpg

6thgenaccordon8thgenwheels.jpg

K2114

Reaction score
DEP = dark emerald pearl :) i have one too.

Your goal and plans sound nice. Who's accord ^ is that again..?

I want to say thats skectch05 but I don't think thats right. I found those pics on V6P in the sedan thread..somewhere within the first 100 pages.

Edit: Owner of the car is actually aznboi128.

Last edited:
Back