oil burnt smell

Jimsun

Reaction score
I changed the oil the other day. The way i usually do it the last 4 years i've had a car. So i decieded to change the oil. Used 5-20 and a new filter every time. I start the car and as i go for a drive in the highway, I start to smell burnt oil going through my vents. At first i thought i just didnt clean the oil spill and the engine is just burning it up via engine heat. Then it happened again on my way back home. So i took the next exit and looked at my oil level and my other fluids. brake coolant and steering seems to be fine.
When i got home, i could really smell it when i stand outside the car right beside my mirrors. It's been a few days since this happened.
This only showed up after i did an oil changed.

I checked the oil filter type, the engine type, the oil level. Everything seems to be checked.

Anyone have any idea on what it could be? I would also like to note that there was a few drops in the flex pipe when i took the oil filter out. I did however clean it.

I searched and found no hits for my problem
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2829265

Last edited:

Chris Vu

Reaction score
This has happened to me before. Whenever I spill oil onto the flex pipe, I'd have to drive it for about 15 to 20 minutes before all the oil burns off. Until then, you'll smell it .. what I'd do if I were you is drive with the windows up and the air vented through the cabin for a few more minutes. I think the flex pipe soaks up some of the oil so it takes a while longer to burn off.

Jimsun

Reaction score
would it be an issue if i sprayed the flex pipe with brae cleaner?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
no, brake cleaner should be fine.

if you smell it again, pop the hood and look for smoke.

Jimsun

Reaction score
Last night i was parked in a lot with my headlights on. I saw thick smoke from the passenger side. I popped the hood and it seems to be coming off the front area of the car (radiator part). I checked my temp and it seems fine. I looked at my reservoir and it's between the line.

Should i consider draining the coolant?

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Your coolant is boiling over. Check your radiator cap and overflow cap.

Jimsun

Reaction score
i went under the hood and found out that it was my oil filter.

I guess when i took the old one out, i forgot to inspect the old oil filter and didnt clean the place where it screws in (it was raining, windy and cold).

The old oil filter seized and when i took it off with the socket clamp thing the rubber didnt come out with it (i didnt notice). So i put in the new one and ran the car. At first i thought it was just oil spills but when the smell didnt leave, I got worried. Then today, when i got home i noticed a puddle of oil on my drive way. This scared me and i jacked up the car. inspected and saw that the rubber seal was off ( i see the rubber sticking out of place (fram 3793a)). I ended up doing an oil change and when i took out the oil filter i saw 2 rubber seals.

Anyways, hope this helps anyone ^^

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Well done for finding that. It's easy to do - I know what you will be checking for in future oil changes

Back