Timing belt & water pump replacement?

demon-cleaner

Reaction score
The car is 2000 Coupe EX I4. I understand that after 7 years it is recommended to change the timing belt, so I plan to do this myself. Are there any performance mods that would be worth doing while I'm in there? Such as say pulleys, tensioners, motor mounts, etc.? Anything? I What brand of parts are preferred? Any tips for a noob will be greatly appreaciated.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If your motor is stock, I'd just stick to OEM parts. Motor mounts from Innovative are probably all I would change, if anything.

I replaced the other belts and tensioner while I was at it.

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch the oil pump unless you absolutely have to, like if yours is breaking. That's kind of a bigger deal than water pump and timing belt. If yours works, it will continue working for you. How many miles are on the car?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Along with the timing belt and water pump, do a/c belt, p/s belt, balance shaft belt, tensioner springs & pulleys, and there is 2x oil seals, one of which needs a retainer to be added since honda did not place them in from factory but it was later a TSB. If you havent done a t.belt change before be prepared to set quite the amount of time aside.

What i did for my 4cyl last time...at 220xxx km
-14400-PAA-A02 BELT, TIMING (112RU24 A-555) (Timing Belt)
-13405-PAA-A03 BELT, BALANCER TIMING (70RU16 GB-333) (GATES) (Balance Belt)
-14516-P0A-000 SPRING, TIMING BELT ADJUSTER (Timing Belt Spring)
-13407-P0A-000 SPRING, BELT ADJUSTER (Balance Belt Spring)
-14510-PT0-004 ADJUSTER, TIMING BELT (NIPPON SEIKO) (Timing Belt Pulley Adjuster)...i didn't change these until the second timing belt change at 220XXX
-13404-PT0-004 ADJUSTER, BALANCER BELT (NIPPON SEIKO) (Balance Belt Pulley Adjuster)...i didn't change these until the second timing belt change at 220XXX
-91213-PT0-003 OIL SEAL (28X42X8) (ARAI) (Camshaft Oil Seal)(behind pulley)
----
-91233-PT0-003 OIL SEAL (27X40X8) (NOK)
1x Seal Retainer(You'll have to call and ask for this as there is no definite part#)
----
-19200-P0A-003 WATER PUMP (WaterPump)
----
-56992-P0A-J01 BELT, POWER STEERING PUMP (BANDO) (Power Steering Belt)...change only if you haven't change them recently
-38920-PAA-A01 BELT, COMPRESSOR (A/C Belt)...change only if you haven't change them recently

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Stunna - can you remove and replace the crankshaft oil seal without taking off the oil pump? Never had to do it on an installed engine, thus I am wondering.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Stunna - can you remove and replace the crankshaft oil seal without taking off the oil pump? Never had to do it on an installed engine, thus I am wondering.

Sorry, meant to say camshaft oil seal for both of them lol, just that one is somewhat below the camshaft and one is right behind the pulley.

#26 http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagrams/large/oil-pump-oil-strainer-456772.png
(this one needs the extra retainer)
#24 http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagrams/large/camshaft-timing-belt-456765.png

demon-cleaner

Reaction score
There's only 52k on the car. I am the 2nd owner. Is there any other stuff I should consider doing while in there? I already changed plugs & wires, cap & rotor, k & n drop in air filter. The motor is stock, but I would like to tweak it a bit. I'd like to get a bit more throttle response if nothing else. Would under drive pulleys help much? I understand they help with gas mileage. What about CAI such as an AEM V2? Should I adjust the valves while I have the cover off? I do have a Chilton's Manual for that info I guess. I know I'm drifting away from my original post, but you guys on this site have given me a lot of knowledge and help that I didn't have before coming into this forum. Thanks again to all!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
No problem.

Sounds like you got everything you need covered.

If you feel confident adjusting the valves, do that while the VC is off, and use the Chilton manual.

AEM V2 is a great CAI, get it if you can, I wouldn't jump on it ASAP though - try to find a good deal for it first.

Throttle response can be attained in 1 of two ways or both:

1) Adding a throttle body spacer.
2) adjusting your throttle cable manually to have as much tension on it as possible without actually activating/pulling on the throttle pulley.

Not sure about undrdrive pulleys, but I stay away from them. Stock is the best crank pulley, unless you are going big and want to get a Fluidampr pulley, or something similar. Some have the extra love for AC & Power Steering, some don't. Do some shopping if you decide to go that route!

- Nikita

Back