Grounding or shorting problems?

BoogieWoogie

Reaction score
i have a 98 Accord 2.3l Automatic

Problem: Dome light never shuts off all the way(dims, but dosnt go off) same with the courtesy door lights and the door ajar on the dash cluster.

Story: not much of one. i open the door everything comes on like it should. i close the door, everything goes off... BUT the dome light, driver door, door ajar.
these lights refuse to turn off. They do dim like it reads the door is shut, but does not turn off...

Door Open

Door Close

Door Ajar Light

it was hard for me to get a picture of the door ajar light dimming, but as you see with the dome, the door light and the ajar light do the same.

The dome light i think is a short, cause when i put on 'always on' i have the tap it or shake it to actualy keep it on.

ive checked fuses they all look good.
The door switch seems to work cause it reads the door is closed by dimming the lights, just dosnt shut them off.

ive used searched and can not come to a conclusion of what it could be. Dont worry i have not stopped searching, but a lil help would be appreciated. im thinking bad grounding or its shorting out? idk
just looking to find the cause and fix.

Just saw where this is posted, Sorry if its in the wrong spot.....

Last edited:

BoogieWoogie

Reaction score
Anyone? Out of 42 people no one has a single clue? Or guess? Search is not helping me...
Guess it's just in the wrong spot, gonna copy and past it in car audio and electronics then. Would love to fix this soon... especially the door ajar...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BoogieWoogie

Reaction score
I do not think it's the switch. I put a new one in and does the same thing...

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Well, that's not a very complicated circuit. It's in the FSM page 22-109

Does the courtesy light in the door also behave that way? Does more than one of them do it?

That kind of behavior does indicate a low-grade short.

The circuit gets power from the 7.5A fuse (#11) and goes to the courtesy lights, then to the "multiplex control unit" before going to the door pin switch, and finally chassis ground. In this case, I believe that "multiplex control unit" means the dashboard display.

With the behavior as you show (Dash indicator faintly showing drivers' door open?) the problem is most likely between the dashboard and the pin switch. This should be a green/orange wire in the wire harness underneath the door sill that goes tot he switch in the B pillar. Chances are the front or the back of the door sill is where the wire has become damaged and has a weak short.

It is also possible that this is the fault of an aftermarket alarm or remote starter system which uses a transistor isolation switch for a door trigger and the transistor has failed and is leaking current. Most installers will connect to the door pin switches under the dashboard.

Last edited:

BoogieWoogie

Reaction score
All other doors are fine and act normal. Sorry but wasting more money on new switches, when mine work just is not in my wallet. If anything I'll just move the new switch around and check, but seems unnecessarily seeing how they all work fine. I'm only having trouble with the driver part.

So as stated it's only the driver side door/dome/door ajar on the cluster.

I open my door, the lights come on like normal. When I get in close the door; all the lights that were on go dim. Driver courtesy door light, cluster door ajar light indicating that the door is open, and the dome. Like I said they all come on normal with the right brightness, but never shut off, only dim when I shut the door. Indicating it's reading something from the switch.

Thanks for the info, when I have time think ima have find and follow that wire see if it's in good condition. Got the car used, there was an alarm I'm one point I'm sure of it, but when I got the car no key fob or anything just a key.... so when I get a little extra money I'll take it to an alarm place and see what's up with that.

Thanks you all for all the good info

Back