Collkid's DD.

Collkid

Reaction score
Hello 6thGen Accord.

Cool forum! Have been reading everything I can over the last few weeks.

Here is going to be a car blog for me to keep record, get advice, and see how far I've come.

So, here's the deal.

My dad bought this Accord in January 2012 from Craigslist with 146k miles on it. He recently bought a New Toyota Highlander and gave me the Accord!

As for me, I'm 28 now, married with a wife, dog, and house and we are starting to think about kids. I have owned almost 30 cars, 5 of which has been Honda's. I use to be in the street scene (DSM. Audi's. GSR. Turbo Civic) but have since moved on from that world.

I'm looking to make this thing clean and setup to be a DD. My hope is for it to do well over 300k miles.

The Car:
- 205k miles
- 2.3L Manual
- Terrible purple paint
- Everything is stock

Plans:
- Paint black from Macco
- Throw in a small sub and speakers
- Dark tint (Currently has some tint, do I need to take this off before taking it to a tint shop?)
- Restore or buy new headlights (Any write-ups on how to clean these?)
- Replace Cabin Filter
- Replace (or have shop replace) Timing Belt

*Trying to figure out how to post pictures?

ThatDesiKid

Reaction score
Welcome! I believe you have to wait a week or something to post pics.

You have solid plans to start off, tints you'll have to peel before otherwise they'll charge you extra. Id recommend buying new headlights, a lot of them are pretty cheap and some people sell their retrofitted headlights on the Facebook pages. Other than that just keep in mind it's a high mileage car and be prepared to set aside additional maintenance costs.

Just my 2 cents, welcome again and enjoy that Accord!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
If you have a few tools you can do the timing belt. It's easy. Make some marks on the belt and pulleys. Transfer marks. Replace belt. Put everything back together. Drink beer.

Collkid

Reaction score
Welcome! I believe you have to wait a week or something to post pics.

You have solid plans to start off, tints you'll have to peel before otherwise they'll charge you extra. Id recommend buying new headlights, a lot of them are pretty cheap and some people sell their retrofitted headlights on the Facebook pages. Other than that just keep in mind it's a high mileage car and be prepared to set aside additional maintenance costs.

Just my 2 cents, welcome again and enjoy that Accord!

Oh how annoying. That'll be a long week.

New headlights. Any good aftermarket ones? Links?

ThatDesiKid

Reaction score
Oh how annoying. That'll be a long week.

New headlights. Any good aftermarket ones? Links?
Just Google 98-02 Accord headlights and look under the shopping tab. Plenty of choices to pick from
89152845deaea3172754d68cecd76f60.jpg

Accordx

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, buying new headlights and installing them is pretty easy. That was the first thing I did on my Accord and it didn't take too long. Just take the bumper off, take off some bolts and put everything back together from there. I picked up black housed lights from amazon but you can get LEDs and pre retrofit lights as well. I personally like the simple black housing. Anyway, solid plans, and good luck :waytogo:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I'm cheap AF so I just take sandpaper and rubbing compound and refinish my headlights. Unless the paint was pristine i could care less. :henry:

Enne

Reaction score
Hiya Collkid, I see you found your way here and also DA ;) Both places are great for info, but here on 6GA it's geared toward our generation specifically.

You can get one of those headlight refinishing kits at AutoZone or whatever and try your hand at refinishing your OEM headlights first, before dropping extra cash on new ones. That's what I do. Don't be afraid to liberally spray the lens lubrication it comes with, as you wet sand the plastic. If you get some clear spray paint (good paint that's made for automotive purposes, can't remember the name right now, but not cheap stuff that'll flake off), you can seal them after you've sanded and thoroughly dried them to make the finish last longer. I need to do that next time I do mine.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I mean that's all that comes in those headlight store kits is an abrasive to sand down the oxidation and imperfections and a clear coat.

The concept is very simple. Wet sand it with rough grit first. Then fine sanding. Then polish and clear coat. I'm cheap again and just apply a heavy coat of turtle wax. And reapply whenever. It will take me years to use this whole can of wax on the cars.

Back