HELP! dropped a screw tap into engine oil passage way

stratosphere

Reaction score
Newbie here hoping to get some help from more knowledgable folks in this forum...

So I was doing a valve cover gasket job and a re-thread of the valve cover bolt screw holes (using a screw tap) and then the screw tap itself snapped and the other half got stuck in the screw hole (not a problem...?) and the other half went down into one of the oil passageways (a big problem...!) :banghead:

I am not sure if it went all the way down to the oil pan but i have already tried to drain the oil and poked inside the oil pan using a magnetic pickup tool but no luck finding the piece of metal

I have yet to try fishing it out from on top of the engine through the said oil passageway, but not totally sure if that's even gonna help

my Q's:

1) Is there another way for me to find/take out that piece WITHOUT disassembling the engine?

2) would I cause further unrepairable damage if I attempt to start/crank the engine given that there's a piece of metal inside the engine itself?

any helpful info will be much appreciated

Last edited:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Big question is were you using any kind of thread lubricant while tapping? Also yes you need that thing out of there. Metal chunks in the oil is never good.

You gotta do what you gotta do now to get it out. Harbor freight sells tiny neodymium magnets you could use to try to grab it from the top.

stratosphere

Reaction score
Yes, I used thread lubricant. The tapper seemed to be made from low-grade material hence it broke off easily

I picked up a bendable magnetic pickup tool and after patiently trying to fish it out, I found the metal piece! good thing it was still on the top part of the engine

Thanks for the help :)

Back