F23 auto ecu options

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I've gotten all the mechanical components for a 10PSI turbo build on my automatic f23. At first I was excited to grab some injectors and an ECU; but then I realized that there are very few options for an auto OBDII system! I really wanted to buy an ECU, chip it (I work with electronics often so this would have been fairly simple) but I was wondering if I need anything special for an auto trans? Any help would be frick'n awesome because this isn't a common engine to mod (SOHC)..

If anything I could get rid of the TCU component entirely and finally implement those electric paddle shifters I've been wanting >:D

Not only that, I wanted to be able to live tune the car over USB using a serial converter like an FTDI but from the looks of how much logic Hondata needs to implement that it may be more work than its worth to hack a converter together..

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
Okay so I've started peeking around a spare OBD2B stock F23a1 ECU from the junkyard..
I figure that if I can't buy one to reprogram then I can sort of use this one for the functions I don't want to handle in hardware design and programming.. Everything else is going to be controlled by an ESP8266 (quite easily I might add)! For anyone who wants to try this one out, the large NEC IC is the main processor from what I've found online (practically nothing), the other two tiny NEC ICs are probably slaves or just help with some of the calcs and reading sensor inputs.

The riser chip is the immobilizer (I'm leaving mine intact). Now if you look at the pins from the outside of the ECU then pins 3, 4 and 5 on connector B are injectors 2, 3 and 4 respectively; injector 1 is the middle layer pin to the bottom left of pin 3. So those injector traces run to two large vertical black ICs which are transistor arrays to quickly turn on and off the injectors with logic level voltages! This makes the hack so easy for power control, not only do you not need external components, you can directly connect the MCU of the correct voltage to the current limiting resistors going to the base (B) of those transistor arrays!

I'll update in a few and probably post pictures showing each component I'm talking about. Next I want to locate the CPS, TPS and MAP sensor pins, then find what timing the ECU uses relative to those outputs.. Will keep you updated.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no separate computer for the transmission, it's all built into the ECU. You could probably get something like Megasquirt to work with the stock ecu but beyond that, there really isn't much.

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
There is no separate computer for the transmission, it's all built into the ECU. You could probably get something like Megasquirt to work with the stock ecu but beyond that, there really isn't much.

Yeah I realized that after.. It will take a while to figure this thing out, but it's really my only option :/

I'm thinking that the computer won't notice that it isn't controlling the injectors, because I'm only disconnecting it's input to the transistor array, only one way to find out. Another option is to just use the ESP microcontroller as an interceptor to subtract a variable amount of dwell from the injector.. I plan on doubling injector size but it should be straight forward to read from the O2 and create some sort of 2D array (Table) with MAP and O2 outputs?
Either a table or a nonlinear function that stays closed loop all the way through; I'm scared to death of leaning the engine out and need some safety nets with a DIY system like this though..

This will be happening so any crazy ideas are welcome!

Also: I would ideally have one O2 sensor per cylinder and custom tailor each injector's on time, but I may end up having to stick an extra injector or two in the IM for simplicity.

capsidx

Reaction score
I paid 128 for the ecu and chip and just bough an 11 dollar jumper harness. Pulled all the wires out and re did the harness for my application. Only 130 bucks for the ability to tune the car how I see fit. A small price to pay if you ask me lol. Also doesn’t the aem ems allow custom fuel and ignition maps and tables?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I paid 128 for the ecu and chip and just bough an 11 dollar jumper harness. Pulled all the wires out and re did the harness for my application. Only 130 bucks for the ability to tune the car how I see fit. A small price to pay if you ask me lol. Also doesn’t the aem ems allow custom fuel and ignition maps and tables?

His problem is still being automatic. Limited options.

capsidx

Reaction score
Well I didn’t even think about that. I forgot about the bottleneck that is the auto tragic transmission. If cost is an issue I would suggest starting with saving for a manual transmission. I did and it opened a whole different world for me. Even though I’m using an f20b I think the f23 would be the same as far as tuning options because they’re both obd2. So I would say hold off on the engine management and save to remove the major bottle neck

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Turbo the already weak transmission. You are playing a losing game that will be expensive and time consuming. Best start is a manual swap or find a donor car for cheap. Hell I just came across a 98 accord 4 door LX 5 speed with 200k miles for 600 bucks.

Back