Mr. Cleanswap's 03 CL-S Engine & 6spd Swap -> 01 Accord EX V6 Auto

sr5guy

Reaction score
This swap was for a customer of mine - Jeff - from Massachusetts. I run an Acura Legend specialty shop in Bristol, CT and a friend of a Legend owner hooked me up with Jeff to do this CL-S swap and A/T -> M/T swap into his 01 Honda Accord. The donor car, believe it or not, was a totalled 99 Accord Coupe that already had all of the swap work done to it. The motor was recently rebuilt with OEM parts so it didn't require digging into the internals.

I think the donor car may have once belonged to a member on this forum from New Jersey. The donor car had a comptech supercharger, headers, strut bars and Tein EDFCs, all of which (except for the supercharger) were installed on Jeff's car. The supercharger's pulley was damaged in the accident and we're working on repairing it and installing at a later date. All in all this was a fun swap for me to do, and turned the lazy V6 Auto Accord into a respectable little bastard. These cars are so much easier to work on than the Legends!

This swap used the entire engine, wire harness, transmission and ECU from an 03 CL type S. I used the pedals and master cylinder from an Accord 4 cylinder and ran universal brake line (with a Legend hose :D) for the clutch. The shifter and cables were from an 03 CL. I rewired the dashboard wire harness for the CL M/T ECU.

A few notes I learned: The IMRC (intake manifold runner control) motor is not directly computer controlled. There is a separate module that interfaces the IMRC to the ECU which was missing from the donor car. Jeff is coming down in about a month or so to hook it up properly. The car runs fine without the IMRC hooked up and doesn't throw a CEL.

DO NOT cut the old dashboard wire harness connector off of the Accord! There are multiple wires that use the same color coding (there are 3 blue wires, 2 pink, 4 green, 2 light green, 2 blue/wht, etc). You have to match these wires by their pin locations which requires that you NOT cut off the connector! I used All Data and printed out both dashboard harness connectors for the CL and Accord and basically started at Pin 1 on the CL connector, cutting the wires off of the Accord connector one-by-one. Note that the CL ECU places the dashboard connector on the OTHER side of the ECU so you will need to add about 6 inches of length to reach it. Make sure you leave some extra wire length on the CL connector.

I will try to post a detailed wiring diagram for the dashboard connector when I have some free time. I can't wait to get one of these things installed in an EK :D.

100_2763.jpg

Just Getting Started

100_2766.jpg

Bye Bye J30 Auto!

100_2769.jpg

Subframe dropped

100_2778.jpg

Interior all stripped down.

100_2774.jpg

CL-S Motor and trans mounted on subframe.

100_2775.jpg

CL-S Motor and trans installed.

100_2780.jpg

Pedals removed (what a *****)

100_2783.jpg

Drilled the hole for the clutch master cylinder and primed with etching primer.

100_2784.jpg

Pedals Mounted

100_2881.jpg

Dashboard harness rewiring

100_2888.jpg

100_2890.jpg

100_2891.jpg

DON'T JUST CUT THE ACCORD CONNECTOR OFF! There are multiple wires of the same color that must be matched pin for pin.

100_2876.jpg

My soldering work.

100_2878.jpg

Polyolefin Heat Shrink

100_2912.jpg

Dashboard wiring, almost done

100_2909.jpg

Dashboard Harness rewiring.

100_2913.jpg

Nice-N-Neat

100_2915.jpg

03 CL-S ECU Installed

100_2921.jpg

Bracket I had to remove to install 03 CL-S ECU.

100_2904.jpg

Cutting wires to TCS light in cluster (03 CL-S didn't have TCS)

100_2908.jpg

Cut both red/white wires on the A & B connectors (not C!) to disable the TCS light.

100_2901.jpg

Underhood wiring. Cut wires from CL side of the harness - White = Reverse Lockout, White/Blue = IMRC -, White/Red = IMRC+.

100_2902.jpg

Ran wires through existing hole in firewall and added a 3 pin weather tite connector (from a Legend!) so that removal in the future wouldn't require cutting wires.

100_2899.jpg

This image shows the CL side of the harness xwires that were cut/modified. Getting the reverse lights to work was simple this way. Cut the yellow wire off on the left connector and connect it to the white wire.

100_2922.jpg

Interior all back toghether. Yes, I know it's dirty - it's not my car :p.

100_2924.jpg

Running with no check engine or TCS lights!

-Matt

SykVSyx

Reaction score
This is awesome. Nice to see another swap done and sounds like there wasn't too much as far as issues to deal with.

That donor car sounds ALOT like MikeyMike's car.........

Your Legend looks mint.

Any more pics of it?

J30MAN

Reaction score
Tell Jeff to come to Agawam and give me a ride in the Accord haha. Nice work!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice work! I'm surprised to hear that any newer car is easier to work on than an older car. In my experience it's almost always the other way around. That wiring is such a nightmare, haha.

Please make a thread for your Legend, I'd love to see more of it. :)

Jefe02

Reaction score
Care to share how much the swap ran you?

I will send you a pm.

Congrats man! Enjoy it. :)

And clean that thing, haha.

Haha yea I know its filthy and I am lovin it, this car is a beast. I'm trying to take it easy though as I'm not that great at driving stick.

And who did the donor car belong to?

The donor car belonged to a member on v6p I think his name was archangelnj or something like that.

Back