Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums

Register to remove these ads


View Single Post
  #13  
Old 04-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Sino's Avatar
Sino Sino is offline
Senior Member
Points: 4,949, Level: 20 Points: 4,949, Level: 20 Points: 4,949, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 29
Posts: 120
Rep Power: 18
Sino is somewhat reliable
Re: Sino's 1999 Accord EX Sedan 5MT (56k)

January 2015-Present - Engine rebuild - I bought the car off my mother, who bought it new. It's consumed a lot of oil throughout most of its life. I'd started hearing bearing noise so I figured it's time to overhaul it and fix it for good.


























Lots of carbon buildup on intake ports, exhaust ports, valves, pistons.






Cylinders were in pretty good shape though


As this project went on, it turned into a bit of a restoration too. Here's one of the parts I did black plastic restoration on. Top is done, bottom section isn't.


And sealed afterwards with 303 Aerospace Protectant


Short block after machine shop ringed the pistons, pressed in seals, and did a deck/hone job.








Cylinder head after machine shop finished it, looks pristine with the acid wash and bead blast they gave it








Gave them the two halves of the intake manifold too, the bottom part was impossible for me to get all the sludge out myself.




Exhaust manifold heat shield after sanding the significant amounts of rust


Painted


Before and after of the faded and acid burned battery tray insert




Cylinder head bolted and torqued as per Honda's specifications: 29 lb-ft plus 180 turn.


Timing done


Balance shaft seal retainer. Only a couple of bucks for the kit from Honda, I figured why not.




Just a fraction of the tons of parts I've cleaned rust off to paint/clearcoat


My brother's low-tech paint station












Engine, ready to be dropped in


Engine bay, cleaned to my satisfaction

Engine has since been dropped in and is sitting pretty in all its mounts. A few more things to bolt up, and waiting on some parts from Majestic. I'll take a picture once everything's bolted up.

When the machine shop pressed in the cam seal, the inner lip rolled and the spring popped out of the seal. Thanks to the RTV they lined it with, removing it was an in-law of a *****.


Finished the product. I'm pretty proud of it.


Google Sheets spreadsheet with rebuild cost breakdown

Last edited by Sino; 05-01-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
» Featured Ride
CHECK OUT THIS WEEK'S FEATURED RIDE!



Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3