Million mile club

datechboss101

Reaction score
Just looking at Harbor freight for how much each tool costs, and this would be expensive just to buy all the tools at one time... probably might end up having an inde mechanic do the job this time around... might look into black friday deals to help me save money on the tools.

Connie

Reaction score
Just looking at Harbor freight for how much each tool costs, and this would be expensive just to buy all the tools at one time... probably might end up having an inde mechanic do the job this time around... might look into black friday deals to help me save money on the tools.

You're probably looking at 7-800 bucks to have a shop do both front bearings. They'll charge you for at least 4 hours if everything goes smoothly. On a car this old, it usually doesn't.

You might save a fair bit of cash if you take the knuckles out of the car and drop them off at the shop and just have them do the pressing of the ball joint and bearing, then reinstall the knuckle once they are done.

Last edited:

datechboss101

Reaction score
You're probably looking at 7-800 bucks to have a shop do both front bearings. They'll charge you for at least 4 hours if everything goes smoothly. On a car this old, it usually doesn't.

You might save a fair bit of cash if you take the knuckles out of the car and drop them off at the shop and just have them do the pressing of the ball joint and bearing, then reinstall the knuckle once they are done.
I haven't contacted any mechanics yet, but I am not taking the car to the dealer anymore, as they failed to fix a leak. I hope this can be done sometime within the month, as I cant afford not having a car for the whole day. And all inde mechanics are closed on weekends.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I took my knuckle into the shop and gave them the new bearing. Charged me 40 bucks to press the old one out and new one in.

It took me about an hour to get the knuckle off.

datechboss101

Reaction score
You have two other cars to drive, don't you?

Yeah, the Rogue is always with dad at work and the MDX doesn't get moved 5 out 7 days (gets ~90 miles put on each week; kinda useless to have one just so little kids can get a ride home). Plus, my schedule will change significantly from Jan with college classes and high school, where I need one car with me at all times throughout the week, as mom doesn't want to drive more than a 7-mile radius. Also, weekdays won't work unless my dad doesn't go to the office for the day, which is rare for him nowadays. As result of that, we were taking the cars to the dealerships on Saturdays. So all of these are also in consideration with the DYI, unless the shops are open during winter break, as it won't intervene with any of our schedules.

Enne

Reaction score
For reference, it's "DIY" not "DYI"

Wheel bearing replacement at a shop is a service that can be done in a time frame short enough for you to drive there and wait in the waiting room. It's not a "drop it off and come back hours later" process. Call the shop, tell them you need wheel bearings replaced, and that you'll be waiting on the car instead of dropping it off.

This isn't an issue that requires weeks of back and forth discussion on how to DIY it, or whether or not to take it to a shop, or how expensive either option is.

Your dad either needs to take it to a shop, or replace the bearings. The longer he waits, the worse those bearings get. A failed wheel bearing could send the car flying into a ditch, or other cars, at highway speeds because your wheel broke off and is now sailing down the road into traffic. And if your dad thinks a wheel bearing replacement is expensive, catastrophic damage to the front end, plus a towing charge is even more so.

datechboss101

Reaction score
For reference, it's "DIY" not "DYI"

Wheel bearing replacement at a shop is a service that can be done in a time frame short enough for you to drive there and wait in the waiting room. It's not a "drop it off and come back hours later" process. Call the shop, tell them you need wheel bearings replaced, and that you'll be waiting on the car instead of dropping it off.

This isn't an issue that requires weeks of back and forth discussion on how to DIY it, or whether or not to take it to a shop, or how expensive either option is.

Your dad either needs to take it to a shop, or replace the bearings. The longer he waits, the worse those bearings get. A failed wheel bearing could send the car flying into a ditch, or other cars, at highway speeds because your wheel broke off and is now sailing down the road into traffic. And if your dad thinks a wheel bearing replacement is expensive, catastrophic damage to the front end, plus a towing charge is even more so.

I am gonna be calling few shops and other Honda dealers on Monday for an appointment on Friday (whoever gives me best price) and dad said he will take the day off, as now he understands that the wheel bearings are bad. Also, I will get the CV axle replaced at the same time...

Today, I decided to take a bit apart of the car as I want to learn how to repair it, and while connecting the battery back, I saw smoke and sparks, and realized that both cables weren't snug... (yes I removed the Neg first and installed the pos first).

Connie

Reaction score
If they're loose and there is any power being drawn, that happens. Just tighten them, and it'll stop.

datechboss101

Reaction score
If they're loose and there is any power being drawn, that happens. Just tighten them, and it'll stop.

Okay, I made the connectors snug and tightened them tightly after redoing all the connections (wiring using proper steps).

Now, the next step is to remove the entire interior of the car, as I tend to have an OCD of keeping the cars clean... what are the "torque" specs on the front seats? Also, I don't have the typical torque wrench, as I have a very basic raquet, so how much turns do I need to tighten the bolts of factory specs after I clean the car?

Back