Throttle Body and EGR... How to clean?

datechboss101

Reaction score
As the title says, I need to clean the throttle body and EGR in my CG5, as I have no clue nor idea on when was the last time does where cleaned. However, I have no idea how the heck I should remove the throttle body and EGR and open them to clean it. Also, I am not sure what fluids and materials I should and shouldn't use to clean up the parts. Responses much appreciated.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
The throttle body is the easier of the 2 to clean, in that you remove the plastic piping from the the front of it, and using carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner, you spray it down really good, getting into the air bleed hole and the throttle blade really good.
To clean the EGR port out, you'll need a gasket for the upper plenum, and a EGR gasket. You remove the EGR valve and upper plenum (4 small hoses, and the throttle and cruise control cables, the G101 ground cable, and the nuts/screws for the plenum halves. Now you remove the upper plenum half and with some shop towels plug the intake ports (to keep crap from falling into the engine)and then roto router the EGR port (you'll see the build up on it) from the egr mount thru the manifold opening. It goes from round to square, and most of the carbon builds up on the square portion. You can't clean the port without removing the upper plenum, it's just not possible. BTDT and it didn't work.
Ideally, you would want to do both the TB and EGR port cleaning at the same time while you have the upper plenum off. This way you can get at both sides of the TB, and using the same cleaners, clean the inside of the upper plenum of carbon deposits. You can also clean the IAC valve too while the plenum is off.
Note; done at the Honda dealership, this is a 4-5 hour job plus parts. I've been quoted at my local dealership of 400 just for labor, plus parts for cleaning the EGR port. I got an intake gasket kit thru Rock Auto, and spent the 4 hours of labor doing my wife's 00 Accord. I also replaced the valve, since it had an EGR code present. This was back in 2016 when I did it.
I'll admit I skipped over some of it, but since you've got a FSM, the instructions are right there in it to do the job (what I used when I did my wife's car). I hope this helps.

datechboss101

Reaction score
The throttle body is the easier of the 2 to clean, in that you remove the plastic piping from the the front of it, and using carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner, you spray it down really good, getting into the air bleed hole and the throttle blade really good.
To clean the EGR port out, you'll need a gasket for the upper plenum, and a EGR gasket. You remove the EGR valve and upper plenum (4 small hoses, and the throttle and cruise control cables, the G101 ground cable, and the nuts/screws for the plenum halves. Now you remove the upper plenum half and with some shop towels plug the intake ports (to keep crap from falling into the engine)and then roto router the EGR port (you'll see the build up on it) from the egr mount thru the manifold opening. It goes from round to square, and most of the carbon builds up on the square portion. You can't clean the port without removing the upper plenum, it's just not possible. BTDT and it didn't work.
Ideally, you would want to do both the TB and EGR port cleaning at the same time while you have the upper plenum off. This way you can get at both sides of the TB, and using the same cleaners, clean the inside of the upper plenum of carbon deposits. You can also clean the IAC valve too while the plenum is off.
Note; done at the Honda dealership, this is a 4-5 hour job plus parts. I've been quoted at my local dealership of 400 just for labor, plus parts for cleaning the EGR port. I got an intake gasket kit thru Rock Auto, and spent the 4 hours of labor doing my wife's 00 Accord. I also replaced the valve, since it had an EGR code present. This was back in 2016 when I did it.
I'll admit I skipped over some of it, but since you've got a FSM, the instructions are right there in it to do the job (what I used when I did my wife's car). I hope this helps.

I have the FSM up and cannot find the section its under... And, rookie and dumb question here, but should I disconnect the battery before I clean the TB and EGR?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I have the FSM up and cannot find the section its under... And, rookie and dumb question here, but should I disconnect the battery before I clean the TB and EGR?

If your doing both at the same time yes. If you're doing just the TB, then no, as you'll also want the engine running.

datechboss101

Reaction score
Okay... Also, would WD40 clean it or would soapy water and a metal scrubber w/ microfiber towels do the job?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Okay... Also, would WD40 clean it or would soapy water and a metal scrubber w/ microfiber towels do the job?

No, you want something with more solvent in it to actually clean the metal surfaces. Water and a towel won't work because you can't get into the ports (about the size of your little finger and smaller) and passages.
WD40 is just Water Displacement formula #40, and isn't really a lube or a cleaner.
You really want something like Berryman's B-12, or a carb cleaner. You can get them at any good auto parts store.

capsidx

Reaction score
I used gasoline and a wire brush. Gas or brake cleaner works great. If you're buying brake parts cleaner buy a few cans. Also I disconnected my PCV to stop oil from sludging up my intake. Makes a huge difference.

trident

Reaction score

Good tips. We are going to do some general maintenance on buddy's Accord right after we finished installing the new fenders, headache rack and a couple of led light bar on the current truck project. We'll wait for the gastket to arrive and do the EGR and tb cleaning.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
for TB, just take off your intake tube, open up the butterfly and spray some TB cleaner in there... let soak for a few mins then use a used toothbrush (i do not recommend a wire brush) and clean the inside... then clean up with a paper towel

Back