possible electrical problem?

whereismyshoe

Reaction score
lately, i've been blowing through headlight low beams like nothing. I would say ever 3 or 4 months i've been blowing the passanger side, and about a month after the passanger goes the driver side goes. i use the sylvania silverstar bulbs, and my high beams (still oem) have never blown. Does it sound like there's something wrong with my electrical system?

Accord_4_life

Reaction score
Had the exact same problem with the exact same headlight bulbs. I think they just personally suck. I had my original highs until like 2 weeks ago when I replaced them. 10 years old. I switched my low beams to PIAA, which came with a 1 year warrenty. I had them for about 7 months now and never blew one yet.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Apparently you have been hiding under a rock somewhere. It's normal for Silverstars to blow every few months.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
Apparently you have been hiding under a rock somewhere. It's normal for Silverstars to blow every few months.

We have silverstars as headlights on another car in the family and they've never blown... it's been well over a year now.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
We have silverstars as headlights on another car in the family and they've never blown... it's been well over a year now.
Ok, so you got 2 good bulbs? welcome to the rare side of Silverstars. Bottom line is I highly doubt he has a electrical problem. Silverstars are **** for bulbs. Anyone who knows anything about automotive lighting knows this. The blue coating on the bulbs SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the bulbs life. Even Sylvania knows this. Why do they still sell then? People are dumb and continue to buy into them thinking they are getting 30%-50% more lighting output when they aren't. The only "halogen" bulbs on the market that actually output more lumen's rather than just "whiter" light is HIR bulbs.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Silverstars are garbage. They cost way too much.

I've been running my PIAAs now for 3 years... no problems. With my Hyundai, I had Eurolights, lasted a year, Silverstar, blew after 2 months... but I kept getting them replaced under warranty... but every 2 months they blew... until I bought PIAAs for it also.

whereismyshoe

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, looks like i won't be buying silverstars again anytime soon. My dad's Saab has had them for as long as i remember, and he never blows them. oh well. the regular ones are so much cheaper anyways.

Back