Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune....

Thanks for that Drift. Yes, when I switch over to E85 tonight probably, I was already planning to be plugging my laptop into the AEM EMS and compensating for the E85 in the fuel map to be able to drive it without boost. I will then be setting up a tune date to get the full tune.

Hopefully replace the coolant temp sensor and do a tire rotation at the same time. Hopefully that will fix the other issue I have....

Last edited:

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Well everything was going as planned last night, and then suddenly took a turn for the worst. The ECT sensor brass threaded portion snapped off into the head and in the coolant valley. I cannot see, or feel it in there. and to top of it off, its brass, therefore I can't just extract it with a magnet.

So I am in the process of removing the head. Last night I basically got the head detached, minus some misc sensors, egr, intake manifold, etc. I do have the turbo kid off, IC piping off, head bolts, Distributor off. Still a bit amount of work to remove the head, and get that Da** piece of brass out, but should get that done today along with a new sensor, and E85 switched over.

Also, if I can get it done today, there's a chance I can get a tune tonight also.....:boink:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score

dang..
never fails.stuff always happens right before big plans. Keep the updates coming.cant wait to see some higher numbers. Since the few other fully built boosted members dont post there numbers or updates...haha :thumbsup:

After my paint is done and i regain some money in the bank ill start on finishing the new turbo kit im putting together and getting my AEM and 440s in use finally for some real numbers.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

1NonlyAccord said:
never fails.stuff always happens right before big plans. Keep the updates coming.cant wait to see some higher numbers. Since the few other fully built boosted members dont post there numbers or updates...haha

After my paint is done and i regain some money in the bank ill start on finishing the new turbo kit im putting together and getting my AEM and 440s in use finally for some real numbers.

Tell me about it. I was literally four bolts away from pulling the intake manifold. It's the only thing holding the head on, when the power went out this morning. SO i'm waiting for the power to turn back on to be able to continue working on it.... oh and on top of that the timing belt slipped and is way off so i need to re-do the timing after re-attaching the head and fixing the first issue.

After all of this, i will have a coolant sensor that will work and E85 in the tank and up and running. ha-ha.

Hopefully yours goes a little better lol.
e85 as in ethanol??? gas???

btw... can't wait to see the crazy number on ur car...

Yep. E85 gas! Hopefully no other bulls*** happens lol.

I am honestly thinking of pulling the whole motor and beginning my winter project of pulling the motor and doing a full wire tuck, shave the bay, paint it, and re-install the motor.... but i want a re-tune first lol.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

haha. The power is back on at my parents house where the car is at again. I should be back there later today after some football to continue the work....

hotaccord243

Reaction score

So got the head off tonight. The motor still looks in pristine condition! Here's some pictures:

Prior to cleaning:
361156088581.jpg

The head:
361156177285.jpg

After cleaning some old gasket pieces off:
361156379781.jpg

361156457349.jpg

361156739589.jpg

And the piece that got stuck inside the head is to the right. (those are supposed to be connected..... Got it out by basically turning the head on its side and twisting and shaking it.
361156289669.jpg

Now to go buy a new Intake Manifold Gasket (the exhaust manifold gasket appears to be fine along with the head, studs, etc.) and get the Honda pully puller tool to re-set the timing and make sure valves in correct tolerances. Then re-assembly. The old sensor will makeshift work for now, it just doesn't have the plastic clip piece attached....

More to come soon.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score

i fear what my cylindars look like.......

Back