Transmission cooler DIY installation Four cylinder F23A

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Alright guys, I decided to make a DIY for those of you who need transmission coolers as "extra insurance". Granted, I did not install a transmission filter since our transmissions are not as bad as the V6's. I will try to make this as easy as possible. This is very simple. All your doing is rerouting hoses to the cooler and back to the transmission. This project is under $35 for all the parts. Unless you live in the boonies! Give yourself at least an hour for this project and a nice cold beer!

First, if you don't know how to take off your front bumper follow the link below.
http://www.filtsai.com/accord/bumper_removal/index.php

Parts

Here are the parts that I used to install the transmission cooler.

1.) http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...=search&itemIdentifier=267252_12015_2695_2735

You don't need anything fancy like super cool with fans. That is intended for those of you towing something very heavy. The cooler shown above is just for everyday driving or stop and go traffic like those of us in Cali. Keeping your fluid too cool can end up doing more harm then good. If you live in a cold climate, you can look into a little more expensive cooler that has a bypass valve that closes when it's cold and opens at optimum temperature. You can find something like that at summitracing.com Otherwise, the cooler I showed above is perfect for our cars.

2.) Make sure you pick up an extra 3 feet (36") of transmission hose. It's really cheap around $4. The kit supplies you with about 3 feet of hose but the way I recommend to install this is intended for better security and protection.

3.) This part is optional. If you don't want to run the supplied zip ties through your condenser fins to hold the transmission cooler in place, you can weld a metal bracket to mount behind the transmission cooler and be bolted on the center of the cars condenser assembly. I will explain better in detail when I get to that part.

4.) Extra ATF Honda transmission blood & a metal drain pan or cardboard. You might spill some fluid, so make sure you have at least 1 quart handy. I didn't have to add any, even with a little more volume in the system. It all depends.

Installation

1.) First off, you need to identify the correct line from the transmission that carries the hot fluid and the line to the transmissions from the radiator's cooling line that carries the cooler fluid.

1-1.jpg

2.) Don't mess with the hot fluid line. Leave that into the radiators stock transmission cooling system. You can bypass the stock radiator transmission cooling line, but I don't advise it.

2.jpg

3.) Next your going to remove the hose from the radiators stock cooling line on the right hand side facing the front of the vehicle. A second set of hands will help if they can hurry up and put the new hose on the gold metal tube that comes from the stock radiator transmission cooling line. Make sure to keep the other side of the old hose facing upward so no fluid comes out and put it to the side for now. Next you will need a wrench (I forgot what size you will need) to loosen and twist the gold metal tubing from the radiator and face it towards the right. Re-tighten, add your hose clamp on the new hose and keep the new tube facing upwards just in case it leaks. It shouldn't that much if the car is cold and not hot! Most likely fluid wont come out, but have your second set of hands keep their thumbs over any of the two hoses just in case fluid starts squirting out.

3.jpg

4.) After you got that all squared away, its time for the transmission cooler! I decided to mount mine right in front the condenser and bolt it on to the center of the condenser's metal frame. Like I said earlier, you can use the zip ties that the transmission cooler comes with and run them through the condenser's fins and then use the plastic lock washers to hold it in place. Personally I don't like anything being supported on anything delicate like my condenser's fins, so I had my old man weld me a bracket. You can use the zip ties and mount it on your condenser as well since that's what the instructions will tell you. Here is a picture of what another 6thGen member did to mount the same exact cooler. I took his idea.
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24936&highlight=transmission+cooler

Here are my results on how I mounted my transmission cooler.

5.jpg

Remember you can use the supplied zip ties if your not a welder. Just press the transmission cooler against the condenser and run the zip ties through the fins and lock in place between the condenser and radiator or if the supplied ties are long enough, on the outside of the radiator.

5.) Were almost done! Next were going to connect the new transmission hose (A) we installed earlier on the top metal tubing of the transmission cooler. Run the hose from the transmission cooler to the right side of the radiator/condenser where your power steering hose is located. That is the best and secure area in my opinion. Make sure to install the hose nice and snug into the transmission cooler and install that hose clamp! Next get the other 3ft (36") hose and connect it to the bottom transmission cooler metal tubing. Make sure to add that clamp for the second hose. Run that second hose in the same area where the top hose and power steering hoses are. Use zip ties to tie them together for a secure snug fit!

7.jpg

8.jpg

6.) Last but not least, connect the extra 3ft (36") hose from the bottom part of the transmission cooler to the transmission. Remember earlier when I said to keep the original hose on the left hand side upward? Now it's time to remove it and connect the bottom transmission cooler line. Don't forget that last clamp! Make sure after the car warms up and you drive it around you check for leaks and check your fluid. And your done!

4.jpg

If you see any mistakes or have any questions, let me know. Rep points would be appreciated! Took me 4 hours to write. And my lady is mad at me because I ignored her for the duration of this DIY. :eusa_wall:

"EDIT" I forgot to say, you should pick up at least 2-4 more hose clamps. Especially if the clamps you have now are pretty worn out. That's all!

Last edited:

redlinevtec

Reaction score
whats the point of a transmission cooler... tranny fluid flows through the radiator.... already

the reason our transmission's always fail is lack of cooling. the radiator's self cooling only brings down the temperature maybe 20-25 degrees tops! if that...When you add a full load such as A/C with stop and go traffic, high revving and irregular up and downshifting between stops, the radiators POS cooling system fails to cool off the fluid adequatley thus resulting in your transmission fluid burning turning black failing to lubricate and shift. eventually your transmission will start slipping and then your f**ked on the side of the road having to deal with the hills have eyes mechanics! it's cheap insurance, especially if you got a v6. then you will end up like all the people who post ten thousand threads about their tranny about to go and if they should replace a solenoid. when in reality your tranny is shot!

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Nice write up. You got me all pumped up. So all i need to buy is the 1.) the kit 2.) 3 feet of transmission hose. They sell that at autozone also? 3.) 1 quart of tranny fluid.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
can you post the link for the 3" hose

When you buy the transmission cooler, it will come with 3ft (36") more or less supplied transmission hose. Just take out that hose when your at the counter and say you want the same hose but 3ft (36") so they can compare apples to apples. I don't think they have a link. Trust me, they will have the same exact brand/hose/size in stock. It's a Goodyear brand hose.

Back