Should I even bother....?

datechboss101

Reaction score
Guys, I couldn't sleep over the fact that this dorm thing for uni is gonna cost $7,749 per semester, which adds up to little under $62k in the 4 years. I am considering putting 320,000 miles on the CG, driving 250 miles one trip, which adds to 500 miles round trip per day for 4 days each week. However, doing this calculation, I'd still be half the cost of what I'd be paying for dorm in gas, oil, and tire costs (excluding other repairs). Would this be a good idea or not?

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Time is money and what is your time worth driving vs cost of living. College ain't cheap. You gotta pay to play.

I'm no desk jockey and like to work with my hands. But I chose to go the zero debt route doing the electrical trade. 100k a year with 21% of gross wages into a pension what I chose.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
500 miles a day sounds like hell. you'd have to change your oil every 6 days, if you still use conventional stuff and go by 3k miles. can't say a 6g accord would last 320k without some big repairs either, let alone an additional 320k to whatever you already have.

Last edited:

Kimbo80

Reaction score
The amount of time driving 3+ hours each way would be better spent getting a part time job to offset the costs of room and board.

Like others have said, gettting roommates and offsetting the cost of rent and utilities would help too, but not all schools let freshman live off campus.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Also you are not going to do well in school if
You are spending 6 hours of the day driving to and from home. That time should be spent studying and doing homework.

Back