DIY Audi LED's

ABONACCORD

Banned
Reaction score
So we have all seen the new audi's R8's with the led phantom strip and i know inside theres something saying that you want something similar. Keep in mind this is my second post and first DIY so its not the best! will post pictures after school when i get around to taking them lol.

audi1.jpg

( This works for stock headlights and especially well on JDM headlights with the clear bottom idk about projectors but its worth a shot?)

Step 1

Go to your local autozone ( pepboys?)

And buy 2 12 inch FLEXLED strips

( they come in white amber red and blue )

I chose white.

Step 2

Remove Negative battery terminal to prevent getting shocked.

Step 3
Remove Front Bumper

1 Bolt in each wheel well

6 clips infront of radiator

and about 6 clips at the bottom of your bumper

( I used a flathead and a paper towel to remove the top clips to prevent scratching )

Step 4

Remove your Brights/ Parking Lights/ Headlamps

Step 5

Remove your headlights
( 3 or 4 Bolts holding on brackets/ Headlights )

Step 6

Remove City lights

( at the bottom of the headlight there is an orange wedge bulb that will twist out, note that this install will get rid of this light so if you like it or have a different color one in you probably wont want to do this mod)

audi2.jpg

Step 7

Set your headlight on a carpeted surface so yu dont risk scratching the lense/ denting anything up.
Now the hole where the city lights ( wedge bulbs ) were is where you will be inserting the LED Strips

Make sure they are facing outward inside and slide them in ( you will be able to look through the bottom of the headlight and see where they are.

Get them equal on both sides and use some electrical tape to cover the hole to prevent water from getting in.

Now you need to find a power source to lighten these suckers up.

I chose to get rid of the city bulbs and splice into those wires

Make sure you solder/ heat shrink these wires because they will be exposed
( I made the mistake of just taping them and they came loose a few times lol)

Now your ready to throw it all back together and see how they look!

Post up your pics id love to see how this turns out!

Thanks for reading my first DIY and good luck!

photo2.jpg

These are mine before i discovered i could put them inside the headlights i had them stuck on the outside of the headlight and it was kinda ghetto lol.

I also had small strips at the bottom which looked decent but i took them out.

I will be posting pics of mine either today or tommorow so give me a break lol im in class.

aboncamera146.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Pic fail.

The whole Audi LED thing is getting played out.......

EDIT: So wait, yours are just sitting inside the light not secured by anything? The correct way to do this is to pull the headlight apart and secure them with double sided tape so they don't move around (which they will).

To each his own though.

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
A valiant effort, but there's already one out there on this site which is done in a more proper fashion, as Justin said to pull the headlights apart is the correct way. Also don't use the strips from Autozone etc, get real quality LED strips from oznium.com, not your local ricer shop.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
your methods and choice of materials/parts is ghetto.

get quality LEDs if you're going to do this, and pull the headlights apart so you can properly set them in the parking light reflectors, instead of just kinda fishing them in there and shaking them around or whatever you did. I imagine it's not easy for them to be perfectly parallel to the outside lens of the headlight this way.....

but of course, to each his own.

you could've searched and realized there was already a DIY. :lawl:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
That's ok, good thing you're here because you won't last if you don't learn fast haha. Thus I mean you'll learn quick and figure out how to do your car the right way :thumbsup:.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
this is pretty ghetto......like everyone said before get some quality parts and open your headlights up to do this.

this reminds me I need to redo my ccfl parking light and actually write the DIY I started like two months ago....

Back