My 89 CRX DX

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
So here's my current project car, an 89 CRX :D Always had a sweet spot for these cars, so a few months ago I picked this baby up for $700 with a bad head, bald tires and some electrical issues. Currently undergoing a minime swap, but really want to put in a B18B1 or USDM B16 sometime after I have a nice and reliable TSX. *edit: eventually decided to go with a B18C1 and turn this into a track car.

PARTS OWNED:
-1989 CRX DX- $700
-1993 Civic EX head (not fully complete)- Free
-professional head inspection/leak down test/resurface/full OEM valve train replacement- $350 (hopefully it gets less expensive from here)
-Autozone full gasket set- Free
-D16Z6 fuel rail- Free
-OBD1 Civic DX injectors- $27
-NGK plugs- $5
-Autozone spark plug wires- Free (had a slightly used set laying around from my Accord, and they fit in the CRX)
-Coolant temp sensor- Free off junk head
-OBD1 D16Z6 distributor- $75
-P28 ecu- $75
-Throttle body gasket- $5
-OBD0-OBD1 ecu jumper- $42
-OBD0-OBD1 distributor jumper- $35
-Accord dizzy pigtail harness side- $3
-OBD1 D16Z6 VTEC solenoid- $44
-OEM EDM taillight set- $262
-B18C1 engine- $400
-S80 ITR transmission- $900
TOTAL SO FAR: $2923

DSCN0241_zpsff060a06.jpg

DSCN0244_zps2fc89c34.jpg

DSCN0240_zps7af2b0c1.jpg

DSCN0237_zpsf87aa909.jpg

DSCN0323_zps044ce659.jpg

Last edited:

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Yeah I think it's just over 2k lbs without me in it. Only expecting about 100 hp, but it should be fun in the corners!

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
I think I'm going to turn this into my build thread. I don't get on d-series.org enough and I like this community much more anyways :) I'll just copy and paste my progress into this space when at a working computer

8/30/13- Quick update. Yesterday while installing the injectors I accidentally knocked some nuts into the timing belt cover. I'll need to remove the cover again just to recover them Might as well change the water pump while it's off

9/1/13- Quick update- A couple days ago the city police came complaining about my car since it's not registered yet. Gave me just over 2 weeks to either get it running or get it out of here. So guess I won't be taking my time on this anymore. Going to hit a few junkyards to look for as many parts as possible on Tuesday, and searching various online places for harder to find parts. Should have a lot more updates coming soon

9/5/13- Yesterday I picked up a p28 and distributor from a junk yard for $75 each, and picked up the TB gasket from the dealership. Also paid for an obd0-obd1 ecu & distributor jumper from ebay, which should be here in about a week.

9/9/13- So I got my ecu and distributor conversion harnesses in the mail today, I'll post pictures tomorrow (They're in my car and I'm feeling lazy at the moment). Also bought a resistor box off someone on H-T.

9/18/13- Didn't realize the left part of the dizzy jumper won't work with my harness, so I found a connector off a totaled accord that I'll use instead. Sort of wasted $35, but maybe I'll find a use for it. Also got my VTEC solenoid today!

9/24/13- Got a refund for the resistor box. After searching around, I realized I don't use a resistor box when using OBD1 Injectors. Good thing the guy never even sent the box yet anyways..

10/7/13- I suck at keeping up on this build thread :p But not a lot has happened, been mainly helping my brother with his Camaro.
On to the CRX. After I got the VTEC solenoid I started putting everything on the car and redid the wiring for the distributor. Tried starting it a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't even crank. 2 days of searching and it turned out I forgot to reinstall the valve cover-frame ground. Now it cranks but no spark.
Tested the ignition coil yesterday and it read roughly 14.5 kilohms of resistance, which is obviously really out of spec, so I'm going to get an Autozone replacement in the next few days.
Soo that's all, just diagnosing and trying to start it. Still need an intake, which I'll probably get off ebay.

10/7/13- Notice I'm only using the 2 wire part of the jumper I bought, Only the other part on the harness was cut and redone using a pigtail from a totaled Accord. I plan on getting the wires soldered in the future, the butt connectors are temporary to get it running.
These are some of the things I found on the internet to make sure the wiring was done right, and I looked over everything multiple times before attempting anything

Last edited:

danmccormick87

Reaction score
I think I'm going to turn this into my build thread. I don't get on d-series.org enough and I like this community much more anyways :) I'll just copy and paste my progress into this space when at a working computer

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk

Sweet! Look forward to seeing this build! My brother has one also, and I've been trying to buy it off him for some time now :ehcapt:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Huge D-series guy here. I really liked the non-VTEC SOHC version, but I did have a ZC (DOHC) and Y8 (VTEC) at one point er another. The best thing to do is HMT style ~8psi, small turbo, ~180whp is a hell of a lot!!! Expect to see around 150mph (dx trans redlines at 162). You can run the thing off DSM 450cc injectors and a VAFC/SAFC or a chip or both.

oh, y'll prolly need a clutch.

Or you could build an n/a, with some 1000cc bike cv carbs (like me) clamped to a cut up obx intake mani. :D

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Sweet! Look forward to seeing this build! My brother has one also, and I've been trying to buy it off him for some time now :ehcapt:

Thanks! Don't expect this build to go by pretty quickly, I'm a bit tight on money and want to take my time.

That, and I might have lost the only key and locked the doors...

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Huge D-series guy here. I really liked the non-VTEC SOHC version, but I did have a ZC (DOHC) and Y8 (VTEC) at one point er another. The best thing to do is HMT style ~8psi, small turbo, ~180whp is a hell of a lot!!! Expect to see around 150mph (dx trans redlines at 162). You can run the thing off DSM 450cc injectors and a VAFC/SAFC or a chip or both.

oh, y'll prolly need a clutch.

Or you could build an n/a, with some 1000cc bike cv carbs (like me) clamped to a cut up obx intake mani. :D

I'm planning on abusing this engine until it blows again then swap in something better :) my engine choice keeps changing, since there's too many options for these cars haha. Might end up with a b16 in the end, but who knows

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Ouch, well hopefully you find the key. And I understand the budget build, this economy today isn't as great as it used to be and I myself have to space out my projects for my 6th Gen

xci.ed6

Reaction score
hmt= homemadeturbo.com

at one point it was bought out, idk the new site, but DJ0802 used to be a friend of mine. His crx was on there. HF manifold + adapter + RHB5 turbo + starion I/C + DSM oem charge pipes, I think he had like $200 in there. I had a DIY air->water I/C (oil cooler + bilge pump + stock intake res + sheet steel to enclose) and a T25 on a DIY exhaust mani (oem ex cut for head flange, hm turbo flanges) fora bit more, like $250.

Ahhh, the great ol' days.

16311_10100176073005799_800660322_n.jpg

Back