TD04L on F23A1 oil leak

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
Just finished the turbo install and it all worked alright for a few miles, then after some throttle it started leaking through the seals in the turbo and was so bad the engine stalled.. IDK if anyone here knows much about this specific turbski but the problem must be the pressure AFAIK, so my .035 restrictor is too large?? I'm running a huge welded 10an return line to the top of the oil pan, it has a very clear path so any ideas what the issue could be?? This flippn' sucks cause I just wanna enjoy the new mods lolz
Any help would be awesome

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
Okay, just checked things out, no leaks anywhere else in the oil lines or thereabout. Ordered a rebuild kit for it but won't be here for a few days :/

Side note: This turbo seriously is a perfect match to this engine if you want some low end fun.. Tons of torque and an instant spool!
Also just installed the O2 in the downpipe, and re-teflon'd the connections just to be sure of non-leakage.

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
What's your setup

Pretty much all stock electronics if you're wondering how it is compensating for the added air flow, will be fixing that soon but it's sort of difficult..

running 10w-40 high mileage oil just to be safe, stock internals (will be upgrading rings soon). I'll post some pics-hang on, the engine bay is as close to empty as I could manage..

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
So you just slapped a turbo into the stock motor and ecu? No FMU or anything?

hahaha, yep.. and yes I know it doesn't add near as much power without injectors and tuning, plus the possibility of leaning out and destroying the pistons.. I'm trying to find a way to fix this without an ECU, injectors, and harness; looks like there's a way but the idea needs some refinement.

Least that oil leak richens things up ;)

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
Here's the pic of the engine bay, nothing crazy but it took quite a while to get it so empty.. The power steering is gone, AC is gone, fans are gone, AC radiator is gone, compressor bracket is gone, air cleaner and air cleaner box gone, heater and heater hose gone... Only thing I won't remove is ABS because it's actually useful!

front mount log manifold with adapter to this turbo's mount type and a nice little downpipe straight out the hood :p
Wastegate and BOV not hooked up yet for lack of places to route hoses into the intake.

Edit: Apparently the photos exceed my quota
That's after they were too large, and that's after they were too large... FML

Last edited:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there is no "possibility" of running lean. You are most likely running very lean up top.

At least get a FMU or something as fuel management.

capsidx

Reaction score
Agreed, an fmu will save the motor from potential catastrophic damage. That low end fun will turn to no end fun if you lean out too much. I wonder how long the autotragic trans will last. Doesn’t sound like you’re pushing much boost but let us know your progress in a few weeks as well as issues you encounter. There’s a lot of guys around that still want to turbo their high mileage f23 motors with the auto trans so you’d be helping them out tons :lawl:

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
Agreed, an fmu will save the motor from potential catastrophic damage. That low end fun will turn to no end fun if you lean out too much. I wonder how long the autotragic trans will last. Doesn’t sound like you’re pushing much boost but let us know your progress in a few weeks as well as issues you encounter. There’s a lot of guys around that still want to turbo their high mileage f23 motors with the auto trans so you’d be helping them out tons :lawl:

LOL I wonder too, it shifts hard from 2nd to first so maybe its nearing the end, however the tranny fluid looked very good when I bought it..

Just last night I got a prototype working with the arduino, an O2 sensor and an injector. I want to put the injector in the IM and use the arduino to ensure it doesn't run lean, but the turbo rebuild parts should be here soon as well.

Back