Taller 5th gear

pete c

Reaction score
I am the new owner of an 01 EX Coupe, 5 speed. Car has a new performance header/exhaust system, but other than that is bone stock 4 cylinder.

Not really looking to do any further mods, maybe a very mild turbo someday that wouldn't require getting into the engine. For now, this thing needs to be an economical highway cruiser for work. I will likely do an aero mod or two and would also like a taller 5th gear.

Does such an animal exist? Is it a simple swap? I remember reading on ecomodder that Saturn drivers would swap out 5th gear on their twin cam motors for the taller single cam 5th gears and it could be done very easily because it was as simple as removing a cover and doing it in the car.

If it requires dropping the trans it will have to wait until it is time to do a clutch. No way in hell I can justify dropping a trans to save a few cups of go juice every tankful.

Car has 112K and is very likely on the original clutch. The car is in very nice shape which is an indication that it has been taken care of, so hopefully the clutch has a lot of life left in it.

dawg316

Reaction score
5th gear in the accord trans are pretty well geared for highway compared to the H series trans.

http://zealautowerks.com/transcalc.php
you can play around here for F/H series final drive and shorter 5th gears but i think the accords run the longest 5th.

it aint an easy job either. requires dropping trans, then splitting the case and remove the gearsets. expect a few hours / days for your car to be down

Back