Painting High Beam Reflectors Yellow

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
OK, so I've searched and searched and read all the DIY's on painting headlights. I'm ready to paint my headlights black and I also want to paint the high beam reflectors...

I have all the supplies including stained glass paint. What I can't find out for certain is if I need to sand the reflectors at all? I'm scared of adhesion problems but realize the reflector has to stay reflective. Will a good cleaning with degreaser suffice?

I really appreciate anyones input and advice. This forum rocks... glad to have found it!

(Also, worried about the "reheating" process and the non-high heat yellow paint... any problems/suggestions?)

Last edited:

MikeyMike

Reaction score
just clean good with soap and water, and make sure its completely dry... dont sand the reflector at all, jus ttape it off and spray it

ActNow

Reaction score
I am having a hard time reading your typo's please revise!

edit: he meant sand ok i get it, yeah what mike said!

CG6-WASABI

Reaction score
the best person to PM about black housing ur head lights is BPAccord

he'll answer all ur questions

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
Thanks so much Mikey, actnow, and CG6... I really appreciate the help and advice.

(sorry for the typo.... typing way tooo fast :)

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
Thanks BP! The advice was appreciated!

As an update I haven't made any progress yet. Headlights on the kitchen floor untouched and need to be installed this morning before work. I've decided to buy some spray tint and LED's or cathode tubes for the lower amber marking lights. I'm scared of the legality of having NO amber, so I am thinking of toning it down a bit and then putting brighter lights behind it. I'm afraid a simple 194 bulb replacement won't be bright enough.

I have to see what I can find locally as I don't really want to order.

As for the turn signals, the brightness is again an issue. I'm afraid of them not being bright enough if I black the whole reflector--tho it looks hot! I've yet to see a good before and after shot of doing this. So i'm thinking of compromising and leaving a small section reflective.

I will post pics at some point.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
If you get better bulbs for the corners, blackhousing the entire corner isn't (shouldn't be) a problem at all.

I'd show you pics of mine, but I have the white/amber switchbacks :rolleyes:

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
hehehe thanks Goldn... I may try the Sylvania Silver Stars Clear/Amber turn signal lights... Hoping they'll be a bit brighter.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
Eh, I don't think they are any brighter at all. Those are the bluish/chromish looking ones that light up amber, right?

If you want some brighter amber turn signals... look into some LED turn signals. (smt tower-type bulbs)

Like this:
1156_smt_30led_a_wm.jpg

Back