DIY: Voltmeter

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
this was really easy, i just spliced the 2 wires for one of the gauge cluster lights, and fuse tapped for the 12volt hook up for the reading.

VoltmeterWiring.jpg

the white wire and the black wire are for the light that lights up the volts gauge, thats why theyre just tapped into that cluster light, so that when i turn on my parking lights (at least) the gauge will light up like the rest of the dash.

i spliced both grounds into the ground wire, cuz im lazy, and well, its just a ground.

then i just ran the red power wire into the fuse pannel where i found a fuse that came on with the ignition, which i happened to pick my fuel pump.

end product:
VoltGauge.jpg

Last edited:

okasu

Reaction score
oh so for the mean time your running handicap with one guage? lol get a patch you LAND PIRATE! HAHAHAHAH! So you thought I forgot about that one.

okasu

Reaction score
LOL I heard that you land pirates are some sick bastards... just read for yourself.

HAR!!!

dynasty

Reaction score
i wired my volt meter to the cigerette lighter. i also added a wire from the firewall to it so i can get the most accurate voltages to be metered.

DSCF0040.jpg

my engine was off btw, so the volt is saying 11.5. when it's on, it goes to 12.5.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
nice. i think mine read close to 14 or so when the car was fully on? i wired the one in my gti to the cigarette lighter too, and it reads just at 14.

dynasty

Reaction score
yeah. sometimes mine would jump to 14volts. but it's mostly constant in 13.5v for me.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
A healthy charging system should show around 12.6 at rest, without the car on. It should show 13.5 or more with the car on.

Back