DIY Evap Canister Change - P1457

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
i have the same issue insie of my car smells like oil or gas once in a while. im assuming this is related the p1457 code?
once you changed the two way valve was the code and smell gone?

MrBuTcHeR

Reaction score
KUDOS! I will be doing this very soon! The parts are not a pricey as the previous owners told me! Soon as I get paid this will be ordered. Very Nice DYI

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
I am planning to purchase the canister vent shut valve, but i see a TSB 03001 from honda saying it can be the 2 way BYPASS SOLENOID .
Whats your guys opinion of which goes out first. Should i replace the canister vent shut valve first and see?

i have a 2002 accord se.

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
I am planning to purchase the canister vent shut valve, but i see a TSB 03001 from honda saying it can be the 2 way by pass valve.
Whats your guys opinion of which goes out first. Should i replace the canister vent shut valve first and see?

i have a 2002 accord se.

Yes it can be either one, or it can even be a cracked rubber hose down there. However in most cases its the vent shut off valve.

If you want to be 100% sure you'd have to diagnose to see if the vent shut off valve works or not, and the same for the 2-way valve.

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
sorry i mean the TSB 03001 ACCORD for the 2002`s it says it can be the BYPASS SOLENOID

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
just did my canister and vent shut valve and reset the cel (that i've had for nearly two years :lawl:). hopefully it doesn't come back. i had p1456 and 57. definitely easy work too, even if your shit is rusted to hell haha.

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
i noticed from seeing all of the people who commented that 98/99 year cars needed the Canister vent shut valve but with alt of research i noticed 2002 models tend to need the bypass solenoid/ or 2 way bypass valve. TSB 03001. I am going to purchase both bypass solenoid and the 2 way by pass valve get it installed and go from there.

Damn Sketch you had the 1457 light on for 2 years, i see many people saying that if the 1457 code is up for too long it can damage the PCM because it will be firing at a shorted out valve/solenoid. You got lucky.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yeah, well i was originally told by a friend that it was something completely different, i fixed what he recommended and the light was still on...i guess he's not too reliable haha. it was also about that time i stopped giving a crap about my car haha. i had it scanned again a few weeks ago by a different friend and he told me the codes and what i should probably replace. so far so good.

Back