suspension noise

Vomit_Comit

Reaction score
First of all, push on each corner of your car and see which corner you hear the noise from. Then raise the car up, either on a hoist or on jackstands*do not get under the car with just a jack holding it up*.
Check your ball joints for play(can be done by grabbing the wheel at 12/6 and checking for play up-down and then grab the wheel at 9/3 and check for play side to side). Get a flash light and look at your strut/shock/damper. Is there fluid/oil leaking out from the area where the shaft enters the body/housing? If yes you might have a blown damper. If not grab a socket set and a wrench and check if any of the 5 nuts that hold the strut/shock/damper in place in your strut tower. In addition also check your swaybar endlinks and bushings and brackets for play and extra movement.

ok ill check tomorrow. are you talking about the bolts that hold the strut bar. the five that make a circle pattern. yes once before there was like a fluid in the wheel well. cant tell now because i tried wd40 to see if it was the A arm because i just recently got a camber kit and the ride is really stiff because the ball joints hit the top of my fender in side then i cut holes then it still hits inside but still its really stiff. like bumps you cant see make my radio cut off.

001Stunna

Reaction score
ok i just went out in the freezing cold to tighten the top hat and the whole thing spun. not the bolt. the bolt and the shock all the way to the bottom spun.

You're not supposed to tighten the middle bolt. You're supposed to tighten the 5 bolts that hold the strut to the strut tower. What you did sounds like you spun the damper shaft which is connected to the middle bolt.

Vomit_Comit

Reaction score
You're not supposed to tighten the middle bolt. You're supposed to tighten the 5 bolts that hold the strut to the strut tower. What you did sounds like you spun the damper shaft which is connected to the middle bolt.

yes that one im suppose to do the other ones? oh so i messed up/ ill try now. does it require me to jack up my car

juicebox00

Reaction score
i was talking about the middle one. you have to use pliers and hold the strut still while you tighten the bolt w/ a wrench.

001Stunna

Reaction score
OP, be careful however. Not all nuts require the same force. Usually from my understanding using anything that can scratch or dent the shaft isn't a good idea. If you're gonna do it make sure you wrap the damper shaft in somewhat of a cloth or rubber then grip that with pliers or etc. I would say check/tighten the 5 nuts that hold that damper to the car(the 5 that form somewhat of a circle) and also check all the other suggestions mentioned in my previous post.

FYI.

TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS
Front:
Top Rod Nut 29 Nm (22 ft. lbs.)
Upper Mount Nuts:
10 x 1.25 mm 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)(bigger nuts)
8 x 1.25 mm 17 Nm (12 ft. lbs.)(smaller nuts)
Rear:
Top Rod Nut 29 Nm (22 ft. lbs.)
Mounting Plate Nuts 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
Bottom Attaching Bolt 59 Nm (43 ft. lbs.)
Bottom Attaching Nut 39 Nm (29 ft. lbs.)

Last edited:
Back