Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums

Register to remove these ads

View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Points: 1,781, Level: 11 Points: 1,781, Level: 11 Points: 1,781, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

donco is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Resealing a leaky oil pan with Hondbond

Good info. Thanks! Just did mine yesterday. 175k miles, the pan was leaking like a sieve. I did the VTEC solenoid gasket on the oil filter casting prior to this. The old gaskets were hard and brittle and were also leaking.

I went ahead and removed the down pipes at the back of the cat, just to get it clear out of the way. I also supported the engine from underneath with a bottle jack on a block of wood under the A/C compressor and removed the passenger side motor mount and jacked the engine up a couple inches to get better access to the bolts on the end of the pan above the subframe. It also helped giving more clearance to drop the pan to clear the oil pick up. I also removed the right front wheel and pried the plastic inner fender liner back. There are a couple places on the pan which have extended bosses the are a safe place to use a pry bar without risking scratching the seal surfaces. The old original Honda sealant was hard and brittle and discolored and scraped of easily. There were obvious signs where it was leaking near the transmission interface. I'm so glad the rear main seal wasn't leaking.

CRC Pro-Duty degreaser works really well for cleaning, rinses with tap water and leaves no residue and has no lingering odor:

I've had very good luck in the past with Permatex "Right Stuff" sealant, never had a leak with it on anything.

Just be sure whatever you use it on is something you don't plan to ever take apart again because it sticks like epoxy.

Follow-up: As fate would have it, it's still leaking but not quite as much. Not from the pan but from the front plate/oil pump casting. Looks like I'll be doing this job over again when I do the timing belt. The pan must be removed to remove the front plate -- oh well. I removed the timing belt cover and could see the belt is dry and no signs of leaking at the harmonic balancer seal. The timing belt is in good condition.

Last edited by donco; 05-22-2018 at 10:39 AM.

» Featured Ride
CHECK OUT THIS WEEK'S FEATURED RIDE!