V6 Alternator Upgrade DIY W/ pics

nixed007

Reaction score
Ok so this is it. The top two photos shows the difference in configuration of the desno (odyssey)on the top and the delphi (accord) on the bottom. The main differences is that the delphi has the power connector on the top and the denso has it on the side about an inch away and the negative lead is moved closer to the top of the alternator giving more slack on the negative lead.

Elizabeth003.jpg

Elizabeth012.jpg

So this is how i did the swap. this would also be the directions to replace any alternator on the accord v6. Surprisingly easy.

Before getting into it this photo shows the engine covers removed and what you will be starting with.

Elizabeth005.jpg

~First remove the connectors and push them out of the way. Simple flat head screw driver to push down the connector lock and a 10mm socket for the ground wire work best.
~Also removing the bolt for the power steering resevoir helps open up some room (10mm socket)
Elizabeth006.jpg
Elizabeth007.jpg

~Once this is done it is on to the part that took me a while. The fan... You have to remove the fan otherwise once you get the alternator unbolted you will not be able to take it out. Like trying to pull a big ball out of a small square hole... it doesn't work without taking out the fan. TRUST ME i tried for an hour.
To take out the fan use the 10mm socket or phillips screw driver. there are two bolts on top and one on the bottom that can just be loosened. also unplug the needed connectors

Elizabeth011.jpg

Elizabeth010.jpg

~Now remove the belt using a 14mm closed end wrench on the tension pulley (longer the wrench the better) Hold it in place and slide the belt off with the other hand.
-note pushing toward the cab will remove tension.

~Next remove the alternator by unbolting the top nut (12mm) and the bottom nut (14mm) I would recommend removing the flange that the top of the alternator is bolted to as well. This will allow you to install the new one easier and add a little extra tension.

Elizabeth008.jpg

~Last reverse the steps for installation of the new alternator with a few differences.

-note that the harness in the picture below is against the crank case. I pulled on it enough to get it to attach to the odyssey alt. location if you have the time i would recommend splicing i am still a bit worried about the wires getting too hot that close to the crank case but i will watch it, if all is ok i will probably leave it alone (splicing isn't my favorite thing to do)
I have had the alternator on for almost 4 months and there is no effect to the wiring. And everything is still running strong.

Elizabeth017.jpg

some more pictures of the finished product. also note that i had to remove the alt. harness from the plastic piece that originally held the wire out of the way of the crank case (once again splicing would eliminate having to do this)

Elizabeth016.jpg
Elizabeth018.jpg

Someone finally sent me a Private Message (12/12/2010) requesting to know what year of odyssey I got my alternator from, sorry I didn't post this earlier,

I got mine from a 2001 (v6 odyssey)

From my understanding the 1999-2004 are the same generation however when writing this i thought i remember hearing that they switched alternator design in 2003 so I would recommend staying between a 1999-2002 to be on the safe side until someone confirms otherwise.

For the long term I would still recommend this alternator to anyone, it required no changes other than what i show up (very easy to install) and it has more than out performed any other alternator I have put on the car (I went through 3 within 2 years, this one being the 3rd). My little brother now owns the Accord and that is why i don't post much however I do still receive PMs via e-mail so feel free to contact me.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Good DIY, I'm sure people will find it helpful. Did you notice any difference with the swap?

nixed007

Reaction score
Good DIY, I'm sure people will find it helpful. Did you notice any difference with the swap?

This swap takes you from your stock 105amp alternator to the odyssey 130amp alternator.
Even more important is that the denso is a much better built alternator and last double or triple the life of most delphi alternators on the accord. For the v6 accord there were two OEM alternators made one by delphi and one by denso depending on when are where your car was made determined what alternator you got (both were 105 amp) It seems that most places will replace your alternator with a delphi if you get it done at a dealership just to warn you. I have been through 2 alternators in the last 40,000 miles the first being replaced by warranty and the second would have been covered also but i figured if i was going to have to keep doing this I might as well spend 50 dollars at a junkyard and get an upgrade so that is what i did.

Understand that my alternator was going bad so the I noticed more than what someone might notice if they went from a good accord alt. to a good odyssey alt.

This is a list of what I had heard about the swap vs. what i noticed:

This is the hear-say:
1. More amps for spark plugs provides a cleaner burn
2. Allows you to roll down all 4 windows, opening the sunroof, turn on your lights, open the trunk and flip your hazards on all at the same time and the voltage meter stays above 12v
3. More amps for a system (not a major concern of mine)
4. Slightly faster startup
5. Brighter lighting

The truth:
~ The start up is slightly faster it does seem to run a little better the windows don't effect voltage as much but to be honest, this could have just been because mine was going bad. As a recommendation I wouldn't do it unless i needed a new one or planned to run a big audio setup.
Also it is an extremely easy swap for those of you looking to add to your mod list.

jbl2bgone

Reaction score
anyone think that this would work for the 4cyl? im kind of interested, but no point in doing it if it wont fit.

juicebox00

Reaction score
nice write up but wish you had put this up 3 weeks ago, alternator died and for some reason mechanic wouldn't put an odyssey alternator in instead.... so when i get a better sound system down the road i'll need to use this

Back