My f23a4 is old and tired.

Enne

Reaction score
Is there something actually wrong with the engine that's in it or are you just bored with it? They're very similar, but what's the benefit of swapping a different engine in instead of just rebuilding the one you have? You're not gaining HP or anything else just putting a regular, used F23A1 in it.

Same question, first answer is to rebuild: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27979

I know if Selene's gets bad, my dad is rebuilding it. He builds 270 and 600 motorcycle engines into racing engines as a side business, so I'm sure he could do a few things with an inline 4 Honda motor... lol

GrubbyHonda

Reaction score
Is there something actually wrong with the engine that's in it or are you just bored with it? They're very similar, but what's the benefit of swapping a different engine in instead of just rebuilding the one you have? You're not gaining HP or anything else just putting a regular, used F23A1 in it.

Same question, first answer is to rebuild: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27979

I know if Selene's gets bad, my dad is rebuilding it. He builds 270 and 600 motorcycle engines into racing engines as a side business, so I'm sure he could do a few things with an inline 4 Honda motor... lol

has 200K miles on it and not sure how long these engines last. i take care of it. never beat on it. mgiht be time to freshen the car up with a new engine.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As long as it's running fine and it's had or is about to have it's second timing belt service done, just leave it be. No sense in replacing it just for the sake of replacing things.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
My motor has 222,xxx miles and it is in no way tired. I can roast the tires in first gear and they grab shifting into second. Mine sees 6k rpm almost daily. These are durable long lasting engines if well kept. Keep those oil changes up and belts in serviceable condition and go. Clean air filters. You can find air filters for less than 2-3 dollars and replace them every other month. Why not it's so cheap. I buy in bulk off rock auto.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
My motor has 222,xxx miles and it is in no way tired. I can roast the tires in first gear and they grab shifting into second. Mine sees 6k rpm almost daily. These are durable long lasting engines if well kept. Keep those oil changes up and belts in serviceable condition and go. Clean air filters. You can find air filters for less than 2-3 dollars and replace them every other month. Why not it's so cheap. I buy in bulk off rock auto.

Agreed. I've got 233K on mine, and it's still running great with the 5 speed. My wife's 00 Accord with AT has 236+K on it, and she drives it everywhere. In fact it's our go to car for road trips (cruise set at 80 with the AC on). I'm wanting to get them BOTH to go to 300K.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
My f23 felt really old and tired when I first got it. But that was only because the spark plug wires were worn out and shorting into the head, the spark plugs looked like they where dipped in crude oil then ash, the air filter was worse than after vaccumming my house, and the valves needed adjusting. But some time and a little money and the engine was roaring to life.

It runs even better now with no catalytic converter and that terrible factory air box snorkel intake. I gutted the entire bottom side of the factory air box and throttle response is soooo much better and sounds better. The muffler has been ported to lower internal pressure and improve air flow. Has a nice rumble now.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
My f23 felt really old and tired when I first got it. But that was only because the spark plug wires were worn out and shorting into the head, the spark plugs looked like they where dipped in crude oil then ash, the air filter was worse than after vaccumming my house, and the valves needed adjusting. But some time and a little money and the engine was roaring to life.

It runs even better now with no catalytic converter and that terrible factory air box snorkel intake. I gutted the entire bottom side of the factory air box and throttle response is soooo much better and sounds better. The muffler has been ported to lower internal pressure and improve air flow. Has a nice rumble now.

I didn't get that carried away, but I did replace the timing belts, and put in a new set of NGK plugs. On the exhaust side, I just replaced everything from the manifold back. The Magnaflow cat and cat back system helped breathing since the old Brosal cat was plugged. That alone helped the most, and turned off the CEL. :)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
? anyone?

I think so, but you're moving into tricky territory in that either the F20b or H22 need to use OBDI to run, while the F23a4 AT needs to use OBDII in order to operate correctly. In the early thru mid 90's Honda AT's used a separate transmission ECU. Then in 95 I think, Honda incorporated the trans into the engine ECU. They've been like that ever since, which makes finding a replacement ECU a chore sometimes due to the fact that it has to match BOTH the engine and the trans of the car needing the ECU.

Back