Coupe 5MT swap questions

Student005

Reaction score
Hello fellow 6th gen owners.
I’m new to this forum and am still trying to learn how to navigate it but I have a quick question about the 5MT swap on my coupe.

My research has lead me to the fact that the pedal assembly and shifter assembly is the same for the coupe and sedan manual models. But the last thing in the chain that will be hard to acquire is the manual coupe center console in my interior color. So I was wondering if I can use my auto center console and just remove the stuff where the shifter goes, or if there’s special charactistics to the manual center console that are not on the auto one? If nobody has the answer I will figure it out and be sure to share.

Thanks y’all!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
When I swapped to 6spd I just repurposed the auto shifter hole in the console, I would think you could do the same. Hopefully most if not all the shifter mount holes line up. There might be more on this in the DIY, the photos are gone but might still help you out.

Student005

Reaction score
Thank you!!! That is just the answer I needed. I am able to get it all minus the center console so since I can reuse mine I will be able to start the swap ASAP. Once again, much appreciated.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You don't need to replace the console, the shifter has nothing to do with it. The 5spd shifter literally takes the place of your automatic unit and bolts into the floor. You don't have to change anything.

You will have to drill and cut holes for the clutch pedal assy. Also, the parts don't differ by body style, the parts from a coupe will fit a sedan and vice versa.

capsidx

Reaction score
You shouldnt have trouble finding out where to cut out the holes for the clutch pedal. When I did my 5 speed swap I was scared to death of cutting into the firewall until I noticed there was basically a shape of the master cylinder already in the firewall. Sort of a "cut along these lines" if you will. My guess is when the cg was on the assembly line they made a manual chassis design and just cut the hole in some and didnt for the other ones but I digress. There should be a stamped part you should see when you peel back the carpet.

Student005

Reaction score
Yes!! Thanks a ton y’all this clears a lot of things up for me. I did figure out that interchangeability between coupe and sedan shifter and pedal assemblies but the console was my main concern but all the help is much appreciated. Gonna pick up a repair manual for wiring diagrams but does anyone know where I can find a pinout diagram for the 6th gens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You shouldnt have trouble finding out where to cut out the holes for the clutch pedal. When I did my 5 speed swap I was scared to death of cutting into the firewall until I noticed there was basically a shape of the master cylinder already in the firewall. Sort of a "cut along these lines" if you will. My guess is when the cg was on the assembly line they made a manual chassis design and just cut the hole in some and didnt for the other ones but I digress. There should be a stamped part you should see when you peel back the carpet.

Chassis is the same, only difference is the firewall.

Back