Enne's 1998 Chevy Camaro coupe 3.8 L - Harlock

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
I specifically wanted these wheels, so I don't plan on changing them any time soon. I commute to NJ five days a week so larger wheels would increase the risk of tire/wheel damage. These are 16" stock wheels. I-78 is currently under construction where I drive on it as well, so I'm already trying to be careful lol. Huge drop-offs and bumps where they mill the pavement for the new stuff to get put down. Hitting them even at 65 MPH is scary. Like you're just waiting to hear something break or fall off afterward.

you must be local to me. 78 west is terrible by me right now. i went over a few bridges in my frs like three weeks ago when i was just going between a couple exits, and that was the first and last time i'll be going westbound until it's all paved haha.

the progress on the car looks good though. i like that spoiler you put on it too.

Enne

Reaction score
you must be local to me. 78 west is terrible by me right now. i went over a few bridges in my frs like three weeks ago when i was just going between a couple exits, and that was the first and last time i'll be going westbound until it's all paved haha.

the progress on the car looks good though. i like that spoiler you put on it too.
Your FS tail light post says "i'm about 10 minutes from the NJ/PA border on I78", so yeah you must be very close to me. I take East to work and West back. I take the free bridge in Pburg back into Easton every day so I don't have to pay the toll...

You probably are on it at a different time of day because I would've noticed that white FRS :love:

And thanks, the spoiler was on the car when I bought it, but I liked it a lot so I kept it on. Haven't seen one IRL with it yet but I know a guy who used to have one on his 4th gen. It is a lot smaller than it looks lol.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Your FS tail light post says "i'm about 10 minutes from the NJ/PA border on I78", so yeah you must be very close to me. I take East to work and West back. I take the free bridge in Pburg back into Easton every day so I don't have to pay the toll...

You probably are on it at a different time of day because I would've noticed that white FRS :love:

And thanks, the spoiler was on the car when I bought it, but I liked it a lot so I kept it on. Haven't seen one IRL with it yet but I know a guy who used to have one on his 4th gen. It is a lot smaller than it looks lol.

the free bridge is definitely the way to go. if i'm ever in pa i always take 22 back into nj though for those turns just before the border haha.

i usually take backroads while going home from work, unless i take 22 to 78 from lebanon, then i'd be on 78 around 345.

i didn't even notice the spoiler was on in your initial post haha, does look good though. it's not overly large, and it adds a little more style than the stock one. i thought it was a stock one with risers at first haha, but i noticed it's all one piece. makes the hatch area above the tail lights look so narrow though :lawl:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I like the stocks, just the rears at least look pretty sunk so pushing them out with a spacer would look pretty good in my opinion. But I get what you're saying. Yea construction zones make me sweat bullets haha. I like when they just leave the metal plates on the road to cover holes, but don't joint them at either end so there's a nice big bump when you go up on one. :ugh:

Enne

Reaction score
the free bridge is definitely the way to go. if i'm ever in pa i always take 22 back into nj though for those turns just before the border haha.
I do the same thing whenever I'm heading into NJ on 22. Those curves before the bridge are fun, especially now with the new sway bars that keep the car more level in hard turns.
I like the stocks, just the rears at least look pretty sunk so pushing them out with a spacer would look pretty good in my opinion.
They are pretty sunk in on both ends, you're right. These cars are just super wide. The 17" Konigs on my dad's Z28 kind of diffuse that because of the larger size, and the spokes stick out farther than the rim of the wheel. I've never done anything with spacers so I wouldn't know where to start with that.

I'm thinking, maybe next spring or summer, I will help my dad get his Z back on the road and get it fixed up. It needs transmission work so it's been sitting for over a year. It'll start and get up to 2nd gear but won't go any higher.

He didn't drive it much in the first place so he hasn't bothered to get it fixed, and I've been too busy with my 3 cars to financially help him out with his. The LS1 in the Z has over 300k miles on it and still runs like it's brand new. Honestly, I can't believe the AT survived 313k miles before dying suddenly. I don't think the entire thing is hosed, I think it just needs new solenoids and valves, probably. I replaced the entire valve body in mine with an upgraded one for $250, so hopefully it's a "cheap" fix with his too... Cheaper than a replaced AT anyway.

Enne

Reaction score
Harlock is still at the garage, they haven't started anything yet, but I'm not in a huge hurry or anything. It's not like I haven't waited on the old pirate before lol. I was planning on putting him away for the winter in November anyway so I'd only have like half a month to enjoy him, if he was done today.

On a good note, Dad might be taking the Dark Knight (his Z28 I mentioned previously) up to the same shop Harlock is at, so he and a friend can check it out on the lift. He was talking with said friend, and he thinks it just needs a 3-4 servo or clutch pack. Which is what I thought too because the transmission didn't make any noise, no grinding or slipping. Just lost speed and then wouldn't go up past 2nd gear.

So, maybe the Dark Knight will rise again... Hopefully the points on Dad's license won't.

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
probably because it's older. i don't know how it works in pa, but in nj i think pretty much every obd1 and earlier car is now exempt from emissions too, and all we have for inspection anymore is emissions. so technically, they don't even get inspected if the car is 1995 or earlier haha.

Enne

Reaction score
clean camaro... why r u exempt from emissions? :thinking:
probably because it's older. i don't know how it works in pa, but in nj i think pretty much every obd1 and earlier car is now exempt from emissions too, and all we have for inspection anymore is emissions. so technically, they don't even get inspected if the car is 1995 or earlier haha.
https://www.dmv.com/pa/pennsylvania/emissions-testing
"Auto emissions testing in Pennsylvania is not a requirement for every vehicle. Certain smog certification exemptions are available if your vehicle:
-Is a motorcycle.
-Has been owned for a year or more and was driven less than 5,000 miles the year prior to the emissions testing inspection.
-Is a new vehicle with less than 5,000 miles.
-Is a registered antique vehicle, or classic collectible vehicle.
-Is a registered street rod."

Camaro had less than 5k miles put on it since the last inspection (only about 2k miles in over a year), so I mentioned it to the shop doing the mechanical inspection, and they put the sticker on for me. I made sure to mention it because the car is registered in a county that requires emissions (Northampton), but the county the shop was in does not (Columbia). The entire exhaust system is brand new, so it wasn't a problem, but rules are rules right? Haha.

Back