F23a4 Auto/Manual

Xe_vtec

Reaction score
Need help bad!

So i just swapped my f23a4 out of my wrecked automatic 99 sedan into my buddies 5 speed 00 accord coupe. The car starts but idles rough as hell, won't rev past 3k and I'm getting a random misfire code (after idling for a while). Is there a difference in o2s or maps or something on these 2 cars that would cause the car to run so ****ty?

Are the auto f23a4s different from the 5 speed? I'm using the 5 speeds o2s, headers, trans (obviously), harness and ecu. Check engine light doesn't always come on but when it does it's random misfire (p1399 I believe). The auto f23a4 ran fine before I pulled it, no misfire, nothing.

All sensors and hoses are plugged in and correct. Only one I'm not too sure about is the map and tps. Atm I have the blue plug connected to the map and grey plug to tps.

Also using a knock sensor from a f23a1.

Any help or inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Writing this while im tired so cant promise all of it is correct but it seems as if it is in limp mode. Did the coupe you swapped the f23a4 in have a f23a1 to start? The problem if that is the case is you are running a ecu expecting the car to have a vtec f23a1 in it. Im assuming the vtec solenoid harness is also unhooked aince their wouldnt be one on your motor. Your best bet would be run a f23a4 5spd ecu. Im not sure if there is a way to complete the circuit on the harness to trick the ecu into thinking the solenoid is there.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Writing this while im tired so cant promise all of it is correct but it seems as if it is in limp mode. Did the coupe you swapped the f23a4 in have a f23a1 to start? The problem if that is the case is you are running a ecu expecting the car to have a vtec f23a1 in it. Im assuming the vtec solenoid harness is also unhooked aince their wouldnt be one on your motor. Your best bet would be run a f23a4 5spd ecu. Im not sure if there is a way to complete the circuit on the harness to trick the ecu into thinking the solenoid is there.

You're close but not quite.

The F23a1 and a4 are essentially the same, minus header and o2 sensor placement. The F23a5 is the one your thinking of with no vtec.

OP - Start with the basics, fuel, spark, etc. Check fuel pressure at the rail, make sure you're getting spark in & out of the distributor. That will at least get you started.

If your MAP & TPS plugs were backwards the car would stall anytime you tried giving it gas.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
You're close but not quite.

The F23a1 and a4 are essentially the same, minus header and o2 sensor placement. The F23a5 is the one your thinking of with no vtec.

OP - Start with the basics, fuel, spark, etc. Check fuel pressure at the rail, make sure you're getting spark in & out of the distributor. That will at least get you started.

If your MAP & TPS plugs were backwards the car would stall anytime you tried giving it gas.

Thank you for fixing the info, lol i knew something didnt seem right.

Back