V6 Alternator Upgrade DIY W/ pics

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ Thanks, Chris. Been actually doing this 1-dayoff /wk-thing ever since I joined this forum, so I shouldn't be really complaining a lot though lol. (I remember there were a few months I could get 2 days off, and I was sooo happy to fully spend my time on my DIY projects haha.)

Well, it's finally done!

6gen OEM Delphi alternator. (Plz excuse that blue ground wiring, and pretend like it's not there for your reference.) The green socket is located on the top part of the alternator, and it's facing upwards.
IMAG4027_zps92793112.jpg

'01 Odyssey OEM Denso alternator. (Plz excuse that blue ground wiring 'n pretend like it's not there for your reference.) The green socket is facing sideway, and it's further located below the alternator.
IMAG6162_zpsjcycdzzb.jpg

IMAG6163_zpsomv0sbys.jpg

The one and only one famous issue, length of the wire harness, (from the green socket) to the engine was short by 5". The shop had to extend the wire, which it became thicker by the black tube with the black electrical tape on now, instead of the thin black plastic oem tape you see on Delphi's. I'm not so sure how exactly he extended it, so I'll ask him again. ← (Sry for the great help now haha.)

EDIT: (Update) Took a little while to revisit his shop , but I finally had a chance to ask him how he worked on this swap. Was a very pleasant conversation, and he explained it to me very thoroughly. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
That is the cleanest alternator I have seen, probably ever. Did you change the alternator fuse as well?

Wow 5" is a lot, didn't think it was that much.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ Thanks! Iirc, Bill's (BlackDeath) piece was all polished out, so let's not forget about that. ;) Oh, I haven't even thought about changing the fuse. Should I ??

Wait.. He could have said it in centimeter lol. 5cm sounds more reasonable huh. Jpn ppl use that unit a lot, and even pronounce it as "sench" in Japanese. Sounds very similar with "inch" so I might got confused lol. But I'll confirm on that along with other stuff to follow him up soon.

irtiza18

Reaction score
^ Thanks! Iirc, Bill's (BlackDeath) piece was all polished out, so let's not forget about that. ;) Oh, I haven't even thought about changing the fuse. Should I ??

Wait.. He could have said it in centimeter lol. 5cm sounds more reasonable huh. Jpn ppl use that unit a lot, and even pronounce it as "sench" in Japanese. Sounds very similar with "inch" so I might got confused lol. But I'll confirm on that along with other stuff to follow him up soon.

i apologize in advance but stupid question, did you order your part online if so, can you send the link for it.
and the only obstacle is just extending 5cm of the wire to attach to the Alternator? I think my mechanic will think im crazy for doing this swap, just worried of that extending wire part, no sloppy job.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Sry for been a little inactive on the forum here.. (Been a little hectic by changing out my job 'n whatnot but who cares, I gotta stick with my car stuff. I need some mod bugs in me haha.)

That is the...Did you change the alternator fuse as well?

Wow 5" is a lot, didn't think it was that much.
He said it's good that I already have the big 3 ground cables, with the fuse in line, in order to do this oddy alt upgrade. I was also told that none of my fuses need to be changed out, b/c the big 3 has the built-in-fuse (the thing by my battery 'n coolant reservoir; Thanx to James: the seller haha.) Anyways, this in-line-fuse can avoid problems such as: frying my fuses in the boxes, burning wires, or even catching fire if unfortunate things happens. It'll fry itself first, in case something bad happens on my vehicle's electrical circuits. :))

My bad, let me correct. The engine wire harness is about 2 inhes (5cm) short. It's NOT 5 inches (12.7cm) short; That is quite the difference haha.

i apologize in advance but stupid question, did you order your part online if so, can you send the link for it.
and the only obstacle is just extending 5cm of the wire to attach to the Alternator? I think my mechanic will think im crazy for doing this swap, just worried of that extending wire part, no sloppy job.
Pretty sure you've gone through my pm's by now. ;)

The shop had to extend the wire, which it became thicker by the black tube with the black electrical tape on now, instead of the thin black plastic oem tape you see on Delphi's. I'm not so sure how exactly he extended it, so I'll ask him again. ← (Sry for the great help now haha.)
EDIT: (Update) Took a little while to revisit his shop , but I finally had a chance to ask him how he worked on this swap. Was a very pleasant conversation, and he explained it to me very thoroughly. Stay tuned.
Well, he said he extended the wires separately, where it curbs, to make it look more cleaner / professional over all, instead of chopping off the whole harness at one section to begin. Not sure which tying method he chose tho. One day, I'll unwrap the section 'n take a pic. But he basically "spliced" the wires to make them extended by 2 inches. Then he covered the wires with the tube-shaped wire protector, and wrapped the section with the electrical tape, along with some zip-ties.

Otherwise, the oddy alternator is a direct-bolt-on.

Last edited:

bavarianblessed

Reaction score
Damnit I love this forum. I've been hoping for an OEM upgrade solution to replace the paltry 80amp alternator in my SE, this is brilliant. And the plug location is identical even on the F23 alternator as the Oddy so no harness extension necessary.
I found a 01 oddy alternator from LKQ on ebay with 196k on it for $40 shipped. Has a warranty so it does work but I grabbed a rebuild kit for it as well, new voltage reg, bearings and brushes. Can't wait to get this in, I'll post pics of it all with the rebuild process.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Damnit I love this forum. I've been hoping for an OEM upgrade solution to replace the paltry 80amp alternator in my SE, this is brilliant. And the plug location is identical even on the F23 alternator as the Oddy so no harness extension necessary.
I found a 01 oddy alternator from LKQ on ebay with 196k on it for $40 shipped. Has a warranty so it does work but I grabbed a rebuild kit for it as well, new voltage reg, bearings and brushes. Can't wait to get this in, I'll post pics of it all with the rebuild process.

the v6 and i4 spin in different directions, as previously mentioned in this thread. so an odyssey alternator will not work with your 6th gen if it's a 4 cylinder.

bavarianblessed

Reaction score
the v6 and i4 spin in different directions, as previously mentioned in this thread. so an odyssey alternator will not work with your 6th gen if it's a 4 cylinder.
I read that but I also read where pspec examined the diagram of each and the fan orientation is identical. The only other component I can think of that would be directional (if designed so) would be the brushes and brush holder. Looking at the diagrams doesn't seem to indicate that though. Can you think of another reason why it wouldn't work that I am over looking? Has anyone tried with a F23 and reported it to not be compatible?

bavarianblessed

Reaction score
So the used alternator from LKQ was locked up and trashed, got a refund on it and ended up buying this instead

And it's legit, for $110!
So I have new belts and will upgrade my harness-fusebox-battery wiring with 2AWG this weekend and install it. I'll post pictures of the install when finished

kR4od-8PhzCz59wMgCtNuTFtf_x5WBmNL5ph-UyOP0wsyFqZKQTb9edb9vXd2f15pMT1BQpZPPqcDGa0wkEF4Yom3XsabNhhBGrcghqNfgqhxq3DgUWEukLE9151VevZcsaTwokZDR8YCuonVCpgh5WhFF6L264pz5LDOAmgS9xWE1mLwNpVCto8Njk6Hfyqxk1fhVvZ25VAn6e1fHUFhclVstLzdXLOHGdaPC5_Qu6QPNAcdrsFno31uAQ-sTu-h8tdzKdWYdjYBEjxNmoS95J8JTNduPpveizdJAftPOl8kpuHB9kzuwkDKfLnJ1E64iYA0-QEhE2QluCOBXhUkoRHxPyZvBg20ESzHJtsiKIoISMp7dtM3vFR1iqOGpfY2xmaPIX66L_jbTt_R_bPboeW2SuaCrUm0gPqizlmAZIb3keX-S9OoGHTEeA10TFTCjEskujwdylNe_nz57LFf737I09UygGycJlBgsLD8n2pdC7X4_gSui0UQ52SaG-yxiMlqPFh_LCvoHApHs5ee6AhWVQr7h7Y7ru6cNyw4Jnpb1OlGxLW89HqXWGnQoZZCPhl98Lnm5XAdyWDGzKhFB5VFk4Tn261_FTLcHbD=w712-h949-no

Xh1uM-_v5_r3Uu8FicbacHod-AZB1qRXyuknNv7UzDkNOupZBqx6LssE-Pc-O48kjZE08sw1naI-RWymnttVVkInkjdHRD6dJGpR1Qjz7yt8aN-kxKVnsPlh2vVhtjfP1vKYBRZinmWpVpd-23ytQ3KTJnSk7yXget9vsWXXY8GiTlBO17AJH9NLBphHWPoRFWYtaBMG7UVBYKY9ICbJ1efYvgPaU7XZFZKXPWLGIOee5EOtYe2cEiQC3HqXOdDs9xYbHfB_Bbl0uZw2NtECsaLNLc6rKbxzNMlFtNgHXq1HDRVhvxMRqgOzemfpd5Bfi5Y7qnYJCumFR2hICwrUhmz2Wk85ISGnSonVO66aybypsPdgkhRz8C4A5_bp9NtCotRrw2SreaO-h66OMygO9bQUk7WBzdLAvhmroxD2LY3D7YKng3DX850GHNWdB-Mtdowdj5YMDDV2WlMnZ8cks6UtOpDJ0XyBkLDXdDWSYyk0bvjZao_tCt7iQ06bTw4AnpCkn4jL2dGdHCGWLt2EFTJrpc8QWM1BnbVlIFEbRJUkgUhFHFxGZQnuqyaByni0v1u9272VX5twv4DJVfVhtan6C1bUQ8Dwn0YnKJSobc-0INu4IIowENy1JLm3Kmh9Zm7ImMp6NL95Ja7SMLALY73dc9aOIqDADQ=w712-h949-no

tvBYdM9Qj7f-s5CR-vtfmcKkzD9DR_-uEmOjo31wfh1EYaDXIpub63b7tIDvB1MtUrkwbUVY_DloaL8DKW3BTok70jjXEa-edKsdmFwSp1UpqxKrreyi3HJQFZmte2JMJ_XbNyP-e6gH4e90Z4SxHHHrp6JnomIWieKjHk5qOUVOxjiTxTNwLXvEGWM8n86Pyz3c6XQ-TAcT_8xYSTjfexHrRYbp9SkpSO6ndzwWZ8DMiW_cthBmyQW5CAlD9rFleRIK_q8TuoP0ZDq9vaYsv9q1DGHM9RdiCesD4zrrTEB0iOJCXT4nY4RVvJDaEhg2iskXhzHQby5rYgBF_pQG69sPg2DLN3gBBNUIUXJaAEgsHB3364orMmeC6a0v_7ZJxlhihbhyt4iwLw-8rkbxxamJB2UqdEDjhDE6XI7sjVt3eAvf4VhLTj1FhVrg8JB350Fn--hn2HG2j3-jlZ8NaB9-MrOZgRGLwYkbHXTLv8pgZjHqFBrrkFTJdMsfjjdgAYjyt1qnvxxvG0IXiSOhr2pzrxKg7tkFBhRQDNkYAF8kgFLO45tx47_OWn3r4LpQe5juaWLhEV9f74gDM6-N1KkIc05NYuhogLhd5OhRJ3msHro3WFCcUpKEaUHk7nwSNU56UgfLbPuLPeSru9kNpRqj7_spx3Xe5A=w1266-h949-no

Back