Million mile club

Connie

Reaction score
I just took a hammer and a deep well socket to hammer out the old lower ball joints. Took about an hour to get both out. then the 36mm socket laid over the back of the new lower ball joints and some hammering got the new ones in. The snap rings where the hardest part without having snap ring pliers.

Yes I forgot about the 36mm socket for the axle nut but a cordless 1/2" impact got those off in a couple seconds.

Haha oh man, speaking of axle nuts. I just broke all of the Mastercraft 1/2" stuff I own trying to take off the passenger side axle nut on my donor car I'm taking the trans from. Canadian tire and their lifetime warranty on hand tools is awesome.

I bet that nut had been on there for at least ten salty rusty years, worst one I've ever had. Am now the proud owner of a 3' 3/4" drive breaker bar lol.

I've hammered ball joints in before, the little press makes it a lot easier sometimes. Especially with the amount of access you get in the 6th gen's knuckle to swing a blow at the ball joint.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I just took a hammer and a deep well socket to hammer out the old lower ball joints. Took about an hour to get both out. then the 36mm socket laid over the back of the new lower ball joints and some hammering got the new ones in. The snap rings where the hardest part without having snap ring pliers.

Yes I forgot about the 36mm socket for the axle nut but a cordless 1/2" impact got those off in a couple seconds.

Yeah, I just smacked the old ones out with a section of 3/4 inch pipe, and used my buddies ball joint tool. Made pressing in the new ball joints a snap. I think it took about 10 minutes to do both. The snap ring took a minute or so, since I have snap ring pliers.
As for the 36mm socket, for my IR impact it was no problem. It burped that nut right off like it was nothing (max torque in reverse is 385 ft lbs, forward is something in the 700 ft lb range). In fact I was using it to run the other tools that were doing the real work (ball joint press, bearing extraction and installation).

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Haha oh man, speaking of axle nuts. I just broke all of the Mastercraft 1/2" stuff I own trying to take off the passenger side axle nut on my donor car I'm taking the trans from. Canadian tire and their lifetime warranty on hand tools is awesome.

I bet that nut had been on there for at least ten salty rusty years, worst one I've ever had. Am now the proud owner of a 3' 3/4" drive breaker bar lol.

I've hammered ball joints in before, the little press makes it a lot easier sometimes. Especially with the amount of access you get in the 6th gen's knuckle to swing a blow at the ball joint.

That reminds me of the first time I did axle nuts on a VW bug. I broke a 1/2 in drive 20 inch breaker bar like it was nothing. Thought maybe it had a crack in it, so I returned it to Sears and got a new one. Broke that 1 too. Took the 36mm socket to work, and welded it onto a 2 ft long 1/2 inch thick piece of 1 3/4 flat bar stock. It got those nuts of without breaking. I still have that bar set up too. By the way, those get 257 ft lbs of torque applied or you'll strip the splines out of the hub/drum, then cotter pinned.
What surprised me was when I was doing my wife's water pump/timing belts that I snapped 2 different 6 inch extensions trying to get the bolt out of the crank. After breaking them, I got out the hot wrench to warm up that bolt, and got it out. I think someone used some loctite on it.
:banghead:

Enne

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Marysville, OH plant had The Incredible Hulk torque every single screw and nut/bolt on Selene.

datechboss101

Reaction score
Guys, I think we went off-topic for the past 10 or so posts, but I want to get back to what the actual thread is about....

For the next three weeks or so, my dad is taking Lucky to work (toll plazas to meet with FDOT), the mileage on her will rocket a little bit but more than what I am putting on her right now.

Accordx

Reaction score
There's no way my auto transmission would make it to even 500k miles but I did quite a bit of cruising around this past weekend with some friends and it surprised me a little how hard it is to put a ton of miles on a car considering I just drive to class and work. But I respect that you want to drive the good old 6th gen that long though. I'd love to keep mine even after it breaks down or I move onto something else.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
There's no way my auto transmission would make it to even 500k miles but I did quite a bit of cruising around this past weekend with some friends and it surprised me a little how hard it is to put a ton of miles on a car considering I just drive to class and work. But I respect that you want to drive the good old 6th gen that long though. I'd love to keep mine even after it breaks down or I move onto something else.

Agreed. It took my wife a little over a year to put 30K on hers in a year. That's 11 miles to work 1 way, but then she's always going here and there too (taking care of business). Me, I'm lucky if I put half of that a year on, but I also spread it out over 3 or 4 vehicles (gotta exercise them too).

Kimbo80

Reaction score

In order to try to prolong the longevity of the transmission, I have been doing a drain and fill with 3 quarts of DW-1 every year. It is probably overkill since I only drive about 7k miles a year and take the train to work, but I figure it is cheap insurance. I also found it much cheaper to buy the DW-1 from my local Honda dealer by the case instead of buying 3 bottles at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connie

Reaction score
With my ridiculous daily 200+ km round trip to work, the damn odometer rockets up pretty fast. Seems like Connie always needs an oil change or new tires hahaha.

I am jealous of you guys and your sub-20k mile a year lives sometimes. If you wanna destroy cars, get a commute like mine lol.

Kimbo80

Reaction score
One downside of the short trips is the damage it causes on the exhaust system. Earlier this year I made the switch to a stainless steel catback exhaust, so hopefully that will prolong the exhaust system along with the occassional long, spirited drives. I am on my 4th muffler and resonator. From OEM to the current exhaust system (OEM, Bosal Stainless, Walker Stainless, Yonaka).

Back