V6 Alternator Upgrade DIY W/ pics

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ I thought about that, too but I'm not so sure.. Thanks for the comment though.

At this point, I'm not a big fan of the idea of pulling / splicing my 14-year-old harness. Even if I get a new 6gen harness instead, its durability might be weak b/c of that idea(s). I'm trying to make it a direct-bolt-on as much as possible here.

EDIT: Well, now that I'm pretty sure it's #1 on the diagram that usually costs some $200+ now. Makes sense to say that there isn't any efficient way of extending it by a simple replacement to this date. :banghead:

Last edited:

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I am currently trying to upgrade mine to the Odyssey one.

I'm trying to get the best idea of extending the harness or, get a longer harness.

Would it be a good idea to get the Odyssey's harness for it?
Do you think it will be longer than 6GA V6's?
If so, what would be the part#?

I'm trying to figure out which harness is for the alternator but I'm not sure of which one to choose from this diagram.
 ↓
 ↓
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...cal-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/wire-harness-scat

If someone can help me out on this, that'll be sweet. Hopefully I can place an order soon before mine goes really bad..

Rich,

From my experience from swapping harnesses on the J32, it's all connected to the engine harness. Unless the Odyssey is somehow different, but I don't see how it would be, since its still a J series.

Might be able to extend your factory harness with jumper wires, but from my experience, thats a fair bit of wires.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ Thanks for your words, Evan. Yeah, when I was studying the diagram, I came to realize that it's the whole thing that connects everywhere in the bay, regardless of 6gen / Oddy's.

I appreciate your idea. At this point, I'm just gonna deal with my original harness when it gets mounted.

I just placed an order of '01 Odyssey's genuine alternator. (Meaning, not "RMD" Remanufactured.) I found out that there's Denso alternator available for 6gen (from their website), BUT it is remanufactured.

Well, non-remanufactured alternators are expensive! :eek: Hopefully, mine will run long enough to beat my original Delphi's life of 14 yrs!

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ That is a very interesting link, Chris. I'd assume most of the people think that it's a Denso alternator, but it's actually not. Here are some reasons why:

-- Too good to be true for the price of an genuine non-remanufactured OEM piece being 1/5 of the price of its MSRP (internet pricewise).
-- The tittle of the item doesn't say Denso.
-- The last part of the tittle, "101211-7850" is a partial core ID of a re-manufactured alternator for 99-01 Odyssey.
-- Although 31100P8F-A02 is the Honda parts# of Denso's genuine piece for 99-01 Odyssey, it is listed as "Other Part Number:"
-- Instead, its manufacture part number is 13769N.
-- When you google "13769N", it can be verified that this alternator is re-manufactured by a brand called, "Quality Build".

And, here's the link to the page that sells it for $130.
 ↓
 ↓
http://www.carid.com/quality-built/new-alternator-mpn-13769n.html

Bottom of the page says:
Quality-Built® is the largest remanufacturer of import starters and alternators for North America, and the world's third largest remanufacturer overall. The Quality-Built line of starters and alternators are specifically designed to meet the high demands of professional installers. To meet these demands, every Quality-Built starter and alternator is made using select components and the most advanced manufacturing techniques. Quality-Built starters and alternators represent the finest new and remanufactured automotive aftermarket parts available anywhere, providing unparalleled performance and reliability.
Thus, I'm afraid it's not Denso's...

Well, this hunting game made me realized that the general rule of thumb (pricewise) of getting the genuine non-remanufactured Odyssey alternator is something like:

Genuine = $480 and up
Re-manufactured = $350 and down

Wasn't sure what you exactly meant to show me the link, but ain't that tricky? Or, did you think I was gonna have a buyer's remorse, Chris-san? :naughty:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Well that is certainly interesting, I don't doubt you because I know you are very thorough with things. Actually lower in the listing it does say the Manufacturer is Denso, and says it is OEM Denso below that (that's the way it reads anyway)... but above all that it says the brand is WAI World Power Systems. So a bit misleading, but after looking closely I think you are right. Thought I found a good deal. :lawl:

Thanks for the heads up! Post yours up when you get it, I want to see what it looks like. If it has the black plastic housing on the back of it, that is not the one you want. I don't think it will though.

Last edited:

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure this one has no black cover like Delphi's. Sadly, it's still BNIB unopened, but I'll show you when the work starts. It's supposed to be done a lot sooner though.. It's great to be busy, but it's been too much juggling atm haha.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
SOMEBODY needs to get to a scrapyard that will offer a lifetime warranty on the Oddy alternator, and stop spending so much hard earned money on new ones........

200_s.gif

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
SOMEBODY needs to get to a scrapyard that will offer a lifetime warranty on the Oddy alternator, and stop spending so much hard earned money on new ones........

200_s.gif
Lol. Yeah, that would be a smart way, but somebody is so lazy that he would rather buy a new one by a click on a mouse.. :yaoface2:

Maybe it's because that I wanted to get my 6gen as the first owner (but I couldn't), I have a tendency to "renew" my oem parts, rather than replacing them with used ones. Since the platform is obviously old to begin with, I feel like the car is happier that way haha.

Back