Oil pressure question

capsidx

Reaction score
So recently I've been noticing some massive leaks under my motor. Looks like I put the rear main seal in slightly crooked when I did the 5 speed swap so that had to be taken out and replaced. Then I noticed my oil pan bolts were loose so I tightened those up and the leaks stopped. Now, when I had these leaks I was around 10 psi of oil pressure at idle at a light and about 70 to 80 when highway merging etc. I changed the oil and added a larger wix oil filter and switched to Pennzoil 5 w 30 synthetic. I now get about 40 psi at idle and sometimes over 100 psi when driving spiritedly . Can anyone elaborate on why this is? I would also like to know if this is too much oil pressure for the f23 and could this damage the motor in the long run? Thanks again.
dc526246918ba8ae8cbf0efed6b1b674.jpg

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Gradfien

Reaction score
So recently I've been noticing some massive leaks under my motor. Looks like I put the rear main seal in slightly crooked when I did the 5 speed swap so that had to be taken out and replaced. Then I noticed my oil pan bolts were loose so I tightened those up and the leaks stopped. Now, when I had these leaks I was around 10 psi of oil pressure at idle at a light and about 70 to 80 when highway merging etc. I changed the oil and added a larger wix oil filter and switched to Pennzoil 5 w 30 synthetic. I now get about 40 psi at idle and sometimes over 100 psi when driving spiritedly . Can anyone elaborate on why this is? I would also like to know if this is too much oil pressure for the f23 and could this damage the motor in the long run? Thanks again.
dc526246918ba8ae8cbf0efed6b1b674.jpg

Im curious what oil you switched from. If your sensor is T'd into the stock location, it is after the filter. If the filter is too restrictive the pressure will drop. I would have thought 10 psi at idle is too low, and 40-100 sounds about right I would have to look up a spec to be sure though. Is it the first oil change since installing the pressure gauge?

capsidx

Reaction score
I believe I changed it before I made a 1000 mile trip across from Florida to pa. It used to be like 60 something on full throttle with the auto trans and leaking rear main. I switched from Pennzoil platinum to full synth which I think they both were. It's getting it's reading from the oil pressure switch port. The consensus I've been getting is this level of oil pressure is healthy and encouraged but the internet has been known to be wrong before. Now that I have no leaks I'm kind of baffled. Was I losing all that oil pressure because my oil pan wasn't fully torqued? This is all I could find in my Hanes manual, I honestly use this thing for numbers only anymore , I've outgrown it lol.
3e055b4a8e1214fbe1c942c8d70e19f5.jpg

Last edited:

dawg316

Reaction score
good oil pressure = strong motor. high oil pressure wont hurt.

numbers usualy are high when cold. and when warm it will drop a bit on warm idle. also oil pressure when warm should raise around 10psi per 1000 rpm

you will be fine. i know ballance shaft deleted cars recieve much higher oil pressure so you shouldnt have to worry

hows life with the 5 speed now?

capsidx

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info, really puts my mind at ease and is good information to know for the future. When it was an auto it was just a car and I was exploring other options. Now I feel connected to the car as cheesy as it sounds. Frankenstein has become in a way my best friend. I put so much work into my car just to get it the way it's running now and it makes me smile and still amazes me , it corners way better than any sedan has any business cornering, it passes cars on the highway it has no business passing and so much more. The 5 speed really gave me the level of engagement I wanted and makes me feel one with the car. Sorry for droning on, hopefully it answers your question lol . Simply put it's one of the best life choices Ive ever made . If you're thinking about doing it, I HIGHLY recommend doing it, you hopefully shouldn't regret it lol

Last edited:

dawg316

Reaction score
haha felt the same way when i 5 sped swaped my old eg sedan. a stick shift is deffs the way to go.

enjoy it.!

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
good oil pressure = strong motor. high oil pressure wont hurt.

numbers usualy are high when cold. and when warm it will drop a bit on warm idle. also oil pressure when warm should raise around 10psi per 1000 rpm

you will be fine. i know ballance shaft deleted cars recieve much higher oil pressure so you shouldnt have to worry

hows life with the 5 speed now?

My experience with engines in general (not Honda's)is that you want 10 PSI at idle (15 to 20 doesn't hurt), which is usually at 1000 rpms, and 40 to 60 psi at highway speeds. Anything less than 1K at idle, would be loose bearings (in the bottom end), or a worn oil pump. But if your numbers are better, you should be good to go.
Keep in mind that your oil pressure will be higher with a fresh oil filter.

Last edited:

capsidx

Reaction score
Well my oil pressure gauge started leaking. I'm assuming from these higher numbers. Time for a new one :/
09d1d55440775fbf6e521cfa15bca49d.jpg

Back