Enne's 1999 Accord LX sedan 2.3 L - Selene

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
nope! :lawl:

dsiEMxg.jpg

BTDT before in a 92 Pontiac Sunbird.Watching the headlights flicker from packing snow into the alternator was a little surprising though. One of the guys at work couldn't believe I drove it in that much snow (he was in a 4x4 Dodge truck). We ended getting 6 more inches while I was at work. My 92 Geo Prizm did that a couple of years ago too.

Enne

Reaction score
Since the CEL was off (P0420 code is stored, not commanding the CEL on), took her in for inspection and passed. Wanted to get the o2 sensors replaced too.

Service writer came and showed me estimates for upstream and downstream o2 sensors before ordering them; he always comes and asks me beforehand which is why I like this place. $338 for the upstream, $67 for the downstream. I had them do the downstream. I can probably do the upstream myself if I work at it for a few days with PB Blaster. The downstream one is the one that'd be hard for me to get.

Other note on estimate paper said: "Front struts are leaking and rear are OE. Recommend replacement due to age and mileage." Service writer didn't mention it to me, I just read it on the paper.

Lol either they didn't see the KYB stickers on the struts or they're trying to BS. They never said anything about it so I guess they let it go. Highly doubt they're leaking enough to warrant replacing, they are almost brand new all the way around.

Total came to $222 for the inspection and sensor replacement.
050e22592871ca3d50dfaa283c64dbcb.jpg

jerrychoochoo

Reaction score
Car is looking good! Sometimes I wish I had the 98-00 front so I could go Wings West lip.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Since the CEL was off (P0420 code is stored, not commanding the CEL on), took her in for inspection and passed. Wanted to get the o2 sensors replaced too.

Service writer came and showed me estimates for upstream and downstream o2 sensors before ordering them; he always comes and asks me beforehand which is why I like this place. $338 for the upstream, $67 for the downstream. I had them do the downstream. I can probably do the upstream myself if I work at it for a few days with PB Blaster. The downstream one is the one that'd be hard for me to get.

Other note on estimate paper said: "Front struts are leaking and rear are OE. Recommend replacement due to age and mileage." Service writer didn't mention it to me, I just read it on the paper.

Lol either they didn't see the KYB stickers on the struts or they're trying to BS. They never said anything about it so I guess they let it go. Highly doubt they're leaking enough to warrant replacing, they are almost brand new all the way around.

Total came to $222 for the inspection and sensor replacement.
050e22592871ca3d50dfaa283c64dbcb.jpg

So, she's good for another year? Have you got the winter tires and wheels on yet? It's getting colder.

Enne

Reaction score
Yep, good until 11/18. Registration is good until 10/19 because I sprung for the 2 year registration this time...

Gonna wait until there's actually some snow on the ground before putting the winter tires on. Last year I put them on in November, I think, and it ended up not snowing for like 2 months straight. Then we got 3 feet of snow in a day in February, and they never plowed the roads. Then it turned to slush/mud/ice. My fancy winter tires were no help in that lol.

So, I don't want to wear down the tires on dry roads for that long again. There was actually frost on the windshield this morning though so I'm guessing it won't be long... Selene is the first car I've ever actually had winter tires on. I drove the 4WD Explorer and the FWD minivan in winter, with all-seasons on. Even in snowstorms. So driving FWD Selene with winter tires all around is like driving a tank compared to those.

Last edited:

Enne

Reaction score
Winter tires are on.

a4a4ce09f35bb80d07ce23ea53748c6e.jpg

So Selene is going to need some springtime service. She's coming up on 150,000 miles, and it's been a while since I've given her attention lol. I should probably make a list so I'll just post it here.

- New front calipers, coated rotors and Akebono ceramic pads (part #ASP465)
- Painted drums and new pads/shoes
- Brake fluid flush
- Transmission fluid drain and fill
- Vent and purge valve solenoids
- Clean throttle body
- Clean intake manifold
- Clean fuel injectors
- New front wheel bearings

Selene has an appointment on Monday for other, more urgent things. I asked them to check out the popping sound in the front suspension, do an oil change, check the battery because it's been hard to start up, and the cruise control randomly shutting off which is probably just the brake switch. At this point I think the popping sound is the control arms. I'm gonna let them fight with those; I just know replacing those is going to be harder than it looks, if the sway bar links and struts are any indication of difficulty, lol.

I also told them that having them tighten the sway bar links did actually solve the squeaking problem. But the popping sound persisted.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Winter tires are on.

a4a4ce09f35bb80d07ce23ea53748c6e.jpg

So Selene is going to need some springtime service. She's coming up on 150,000 miles, and it's been a while since I've given her attention lol. I should probably make a list so I'll just post it here.

- New front calipers, coated rotors and Akebono ceramic pads (part #ASP465)
- Painted drums and new pads/shoes
- Brake fluid flush
- Transmission fluid drain and fill
- Vent and purge valve solenoids
- Clean throttle body
- Clean intake manifold
- Clean fuel injectors
- New front wheel bearings

Selene has an appointment on Monday for other, more urgent things. I asked them to check out the popping sound in the front suspension, do an oil change, check the battery because it's been hard to start up, and the cruise control randomly shutting off which is probably just the brake switch. At this point I think the popping sound is the control arms. I'm gonna let them fight with those; I just know replacing those is going to be harder than it looks, if the sway bar links and struts are any indication of difficulty, lol.

I also told them that having them tighten the sway bar links did actually solve the squeaking problem. But the popping sound persisted.

That list is probably what I should do on my wife's Accord, as it could use some of it. We went with all season tires (like we bought 4 years ago) for it, as the inner edges were getting pretty smooth on all 4 of them (not good for driving in the snow).
But, I'm in no hurry until it warms back up around here. This single digit (without wind chill) is basically keeping me indoors.

Back