Register to remove these ads

View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Points: 575, Level: 6 Points: 575, Level: 6 Points: 575, Level: 6
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Rusty Accord is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Frankensteins Official Thread

Originally Posted by capsidx View Post
I totally agree with everything you said. Too many assists in new cars make the car more in control than the driver . I will admit that OBD2 can be a pain in the soul because of all the sensors. I'm a young guy so performance is important to my ego. No vtec makes for a very non has friendly almost unbearably slow drive. One sensor goes bad and it can cripple your car.

I've never had the pleasure of owning an older car than this but I have heard they handle like boats unless you change out the suspension. Honestly I know there are other cars out there and I want to keep this one forever as it's my first car. Is that realistic? I don't know but what I do know is anything is possible.

The 5 speed transmission is the first manual I've driven and I have to say without vtec it's useless. With vtec you REALLY feel the difference, especially in the 5 mt.

I think the best course for us 6th gen owners is keep up with maintenance, update the interior to make it a little modern to keep up with current technology , ie Bluetooth calling etc.., and once the motor goes, rebuild it and enjoy for another 20 or so years .

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
Well, living in the "salt belt", keeping rust away is the number 1 thing in my book. Everything else can be replaced as needed, but sever rust is a death knell. Yes, you can cut and weld in new metal (been doing that to my Geo for years). I can't say whether vtec is the end all be all, as my 97 doesn't have it, and it runs just fine (6K redline), where you just barely notice the vtec king in at 3K, on your way up to 6K and redline. That F22B2 16 valve motor isn't a slouch either. And you're only dealing with 100 cc's less than a F23A motor. Remember, if it isn't there, it can't break.
But keeping up the maintenance will go a long way, keeping it out of the salt goes a very long way, so there are some things you can do to help get some mileage out of it. You don't have to get a job 100 miles away to rack up the odometer either. Just keeping it does wonders. Oil changes are a big part of that.
Some day I'll replace the stock radio with a CD player, and it'll only be 10 or so years behind.

» Featured Ride
CHECK OUT THIS WEEK'S FEATURED RIDE!