Wire Cruise Control to AT Shifter?

Deshon2688

Reaction score
(sorry if this is in the wrong place)

I know this sounds weird, but in reading that thread on v6p on swapping in a prelude/TL shifter, someone mentioned that the tiptronic controls on that shifter could possibly be wired to something else in the car, such as volume up/down or even windows, since it was basically just two switches, (+) and (-). My question is, has anyone ever tried wiring something like that to their cruise control?

I know the cruise switch is completely different, and its controls use a combination of 3 wires. According to Haynes, 'Set' uses wire 1 and 3, 'Resume' uses 1 and 2, and 'Cancel' uses all three. So this this question is for any of you electrical gurus, could something potentially be used to route the above controls to +/- switches? Maybe some other type of control box?

I'm clearly no electrician, so who knows if that's even possible, but i think it'd be an interesting setup to get working, and could potentially be useful for people with quick release steering wheels. Any thoughts?

(And to answer the question 'why bother': Why not?)

Nismode

Reaction score
Not a bad idea actually. I just wish there was a way to actually wire it to manually shift :\

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
its possible. But you would need the Transmission computer and the actual transmission installed on your car.

Most people just go to 6 speed manual when it comes to changing transmissions.

But believe me, the tiptronic on a TL isnt that great. I owned a 2000tl for a short time...its nice...but the shifting response sucks.

Nismode

Reaction score
its possible. But you would need the Transmission computer and the actual transmission installed on your car.

Most people just go to 6 speed manual when it comes to changing transmissions.

But believe me, the tiptronic on a TL isnt that great. I owned a 2000tl for a short time...its nice...but the shifting response sucks.
I miss it when I drive my dad's E46. I just like being able to hold gears.

X2oo5

Reaction score
IMO, might aswell do a manual swap, as the triptronic gear shifting, sometimes sucks on the automatics, I know on mazdas and some other cars, it just eats the transmission, and kills them

Deshon2688

Reaction score
yeah, tiptronic has its ups and downs, but back to original topic lol....

just when swapping the shifter itself in for looks that part of it can be used for other things, just wondering how useful one could make it

Deshon2688

Reaction score
Does anyone have access to any Acura service manuals and/ or wiring diagrams? Specifically for the the shifter? I was able to get one for the cruise control from honda, but the acura dealership near me wasn't much help.

Deshon2688

Reaction score
Does anyone have access to any Acura service manuals and/ or wiring diagrams? Specifically for the the shifter? I was able to get one for the cruise control from honda, but the acura dealership near me wasn't much help.

um... this^^^

:hide:

Back