Engine bay tucking and re-organizing

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
I've been trying for a while now to get my engine bay as empty as possible.. Removed the compressor, compressor mount, AC radiator, AC hoses and such, power steering pump, PS reservoir, and PS cooling hardline.. Lots more different things were removed as well, but now I've hit a wall.

I hear mixed feelings about removing the ABS system, not to mention that I've never driven hydraulic brakes without one.. Is it truly dangerous to drive without ABS? Maybe some people slam on the brakes often and that would lead to lockup, but is there any other purpose they serve that I should know about? It really clutters up the engine bay and I'd frickn love to delete it..

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I haven't had ABS in my last two cars for the past 10 years. I couldn't even lock the tires up on my accord, the tires gripped so hard it just stopped like a MFer.

If you know how to drive ABS is not necessary. It is for people who are dumb drivers.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My car never had ABS, you'll be fine. I'd put power steering back in though. You can reroute a lot of the engine harness under the intake manifold or around the back of it if you're careful and good with a razor blade to cut the factory tape and tubing.

Can also unplug the pass fuse box and stuff it in the glove box and route the wires through the firewall. There's a ton of little things you can do here and there if you start playing around with moving stuff, stand back and look at it, move a little here, etc.

Enne

Reaction score
I've locked the brakes on my Camaro before. I dunno, I guess practice safe driving techniques for cars without it. Power steering though, not having that would be a PITA lol.

Maybe @Capsidx has some pointers?

capsidx

Reaction score
Don’t cut the factory loom unless you’re absolutely sure you’re wiring skills are solid. A proper wire tuck needs the wiring re routed in the fenders and behind the intake. If you’re wiring isn’t 100% and your car won’t start you’ll Sh1t bricks lol. I’ll give you an idea of what’s involved in the process but my engine bay is like half tucked. My f20b came with a factory harness so I decided to use it and leave it the way it is. For now. The pics are of my old h23 when it was semi tucked in the dirtiest possible way. Thanks for the mention enne
4082a41f0daf6bb58bcfb9c667d7a05f.jpg
3f2537fe0c5544c2caa7e50dd2813955.jpg
9b15e1ec639937397b47182b6e618264.jpg
16ebb46f2e592ada8991fa144afba9b7.jpg
4ebc9fea96fd532f01d95487dd5f1d95.jpg
3a2735759033e5403e59dd5ceff32295.jpg
b7781b054f588cd2f1dbaada680aa6e2.jpg
f43e10819fdf48344f0e39ea8d0eb4ab.jpg

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
Holy crap, Capsidx, the shear amount of work to move all those wires... Did you solder the connections and heatshrink, or use connectors?? That looks far better than before but where the guacamole is your battery?!

Seems like it's safe to remove the ABS so I'll go ahead and research the process, and no actually it drives amazing without power steering! The real issue is the pressure buildup when turning manually, you have to loop the two sides together of the rack and pinion so that the fluid can flow from side to side quickly. After that it is insanely easy even when dry steering..
I'll find a way to post pics of my engine bay so you guys can give me ideas, it's mostly empty, but would much rather be just an engine in there lolz

capsidx

Reaction score
I relocated the battery to the trunk. I didn’t like seeing it in the engine bay lol. Like you I just wanted an engine. Plus if I need a jump people can pull up behind me which is awesome, especially on the highway or something lol. It took about three days to do all that wiring but since the car wasn’t running at the time it wasn’t a big deal. I think the best way to do it is to do it in chunks so you don’t have wires everywhere.

I’d also recommend doing it as fast as possible while it’s fresh in your mind so you’re not like hmmm what was this wire for again? Lol. Good luck with the abs delete. I’m one for removing anything on the car I don’t want there so will removing that make your car less safe? Well there are plenty of cars on the road without abs that don’t slide everywhere when braking. My girlfriends corolla has abs and I swear we have almost gotten into so many accidents because of it.

I also removed my power steering and I’m never going back. I love feeling more connected to my car. It’s the reason I did a manual swap and used innovative black mounts. As far as the wiring goes, would I recommend it? If you go to shows and stuff, yes but other than that I don’t see a point. It looked cool when I popped the hood but honestly no one cared. I tell people I have an f20b swap and they’re like oh that’s cool. That’s about it lol. And no I didn’t solder anything. I literally spliced every wire and taped it. The only thing I shrink tubed was the distributor wires. Everything else was tape. Ain’t nobody got time to solder all those wires :lawl:

Ps no power steering for the win
96eda7912439148b441b98fa35c78e61.jpg

Enne

Reaction score
My Prelude's engine bay would look so much better without the big stupid power steering line going right over the exhaust manifold lol

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Ain’t nobody got time to solder all those wires :lawl:

people that enjoy reliability do :lawl:

op, you'd be fine without abs. i loved that both the 6th gen accords i had didn't have abs...i can't stand that crap. i've almost been in more accidents because of abs, than what it has ever saved me from...which has been nothing so far :lawl: you will have to bend some new brake lines, or buy the oem non-abs lines and hook them up. i would go with the bend new lines option since you want to tuck the bay though, this way you can bend them so that they're hidden and out of the way.

Last edited:

capsidx

Reaction score
Reliability is for suckers lol. Having an adventure going to wal mart for groceries is where it’s at son. That being said I never had any issues with wires as long as they’re taped well enough and you pay attention to the pins. I made a conversion harness for my f20b and that thing has more paper clips than pins but it works :lawl: I’ll eventually get a new one but since cleaning up my interior it’s been great so far.
0ddbd8da59021a1aadd7be04584407de.jpg

Back