Lost brakes on freeway, WOOOOWZA

diegoaccord

Reaction score
So yeah, the other day I'm coming home from work, and there was construction going on, taking the lanes from 3 to 2, pretty abruptly and a lot of people were trying to stop and move over with short notice.

I was one of these people, and as I was doing so, applying decent pedal, I heard the pop, and felt it go to the floor, giving me no brakes. I had to maneuver back to the lane that was closed and had a mobile sign, and my pass mirror tapped this X3, and I made it between the sign and the SUV.

Luckily there was no damage, other than paint rub on his taillight, my mirror had folded in, and I noticed that the glass was not secure anymore. So, nothing was done on that front. Hopefully it pops into place. If I had a 98 with the non folding mirrors, I would be out of a mirror or replacing the guys taillight. Overall this could've been much worse, a few more MPH, or a few more MM differences on either side could've been a total.

That said, I drove it home without brakes, I've have a Honda do this before, so I knew I could make it. Never paying a tow on a car that moves under it's own power.

Also the car has 290K, and you can tell the whole uprights are tired as hell. Aside from brake lines, I need brakes themselves, bushings, shocks, tires. I was hoping this car would go through winter problem-free, so I could focus a little on my Mustang or Evo, but that's not going to happen, and if I have to do brake lines, I might as well do everything thats under the car as well, since it's all very tired. That also means this will be getting lowered as well.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
So yeah, the other day I'm coming home from work, and there was construction going on, taking the lanes from 3 to 2, pretty abruptly and a lot of people were trying to stop and move over with short notice.

I was one of these people, and as I was doing so, applying decent pedal, I heard the pop, and felt it go to the floor, giving me no brakes. I had to maneuver back to the lane that was closed and had a mobile sign, and my pass mirror tapped this X3, and I made it between the sign and the SUV.

Luckily there was no damage, other than paint rub on his taillight, my mirror had folded in, and I noticed that the glass was not secure anymore. So, nothing was done on that front. Hopefully it pops into place. If I had a 98 with the non folding mirrors, I would be out of a mirror or replacing the guys taillight. Overall this could've been much worse, a few more MPH, or a few more MM differences on either side could've been a total.

That said, I drove it home without brakes, I've have a Honda do this before, so I knew I could make it. Never paying a tow on a car that moves under it's own power.

Also the car has 290K, and you can tell the whole uprights are tired as hell. Aside from brake lines, I need brakes themselves, bushings, shocks, tires. I was hoping this car would go through winter problem-free, so I could focus a little on my Mustang or Evo, but that's not going to happen, and if I have to do brake lines, I might as well do everything thats under the car as well, since it's all very tired. That also means this will be getting lowered as well.
I'm guessing you had a front line let go. I only say that as they (the fronts) do most of the work.

Connie

Reaction score
I've seen the hard lines rust out where they come through the front wheel well, the hard line in the rear wheel well that attaches to the flex hose, the lines under the car underneath that plastic cover, and on the firewall near the master cylinder.

He's in Ohio, and 290k is a lot. Surprised they lasted this long.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw both that he was in Ohio, and that the car had 290K on it. But like I mentioned, the fronts do more work than the rears. Yeah, you can have a rear line let go, but you won't notice it as much, compared to a front line letting go.
BTDT and I've had both go (just not at the same time). Now a master cylinder would cause no brakes as well, but it's rare that they completely go (usually 1 end or the other, but not both. Most times the rear seal goes in them.

Enne

Reaction score
Yikes. Guess it's that time, huh? I'm about to get myself a new set of calipers/ceramic pads/e-coated rotors for the front, and new powder coated brake drums for the back... Just had the car inspected but when I do the calipers/drums, I'll definitely be checking the brake lines...

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Yikes. Guess it's that time, huh? I'm about to get myself a new set of calipers/ceramic pads/e-coated rotors for the front, and new powder coated brake drums for the back... Just had the car inspected but when I do the calipers/drums, I'll definitely be checking the brake lines...

Yeah, mine have some paint peeling off. With almost 20 years of salty winters it doesn't surprise me though. On my wife's 00 Accord, I've already done the rear lines because a hole rotted thru 1 almost right under the drivers seat. I figured I'd do them both since I was right there. Did that on my Geo 6 years ago too. The salt is just hard on them, and with the plastic cover you don't really see them to know they're getting ready to let go.

It's kind of a wake up call to check the lines. Don't know if that's part of a PA inspection or not, but then Michigan doesn't do any vehicle inspections at all, unless the cop thinks you've got an equipment failure.

Last edited:

Enne

Reaction score
PA has safety and emissions so they check the brake system and other stuff. I don't have the list on me but it's pretty extensive and they tell you which components are starting to wear out or won't last till next inspection.

umop-apisdn

Reaction score
I lost a caliper bolt on my Miata on the freeway. When I would brake hard enough the caliper would tilt up and engage the inner barrel of the wheel. At low speeds it would completely lock up.

Luckily it was in the front and I slowly made it home using the emergency brake.

diegoaccord

Reaction score
back in action finally

26815242_375738429541038_3133280447715240610_n.jpg

datechboss101

Reaction score

back in action finally

26815242_375738429541038_3133280447715240610_n.jpg

Nice! Did you got all of those fixed that you listed?

Back