DIY- RSX Steering Wheel Install

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
This is a guide for installing an RSX steering wheel into your 01-02 Accord. Installing any steering wheel, is pretty much the same concept. But, the RSX one is slightly different. You can put it in any 6th Gen. But the airbag will only work in 01-02 (dual stage years). Civic EP3 and 2006+ S2000 are the same as this wheel. At least the airbag and installation.

So you have a 98-00 Accord and want this wheel? But can't because you have a single stage airbag? Well here's your solution in a great write up by Solidus. Click here!

You're going to start off with a RSX wheel with the airbag. Also, if you want a Honda emblem for the wheel, you can get one here. They come in red and black. I have a review and application instructions of the black badge at the end of this DIY.
4c64a9f7-a852-30ec.jpg

4c64a9f7-a862-671b.jpg

First off, a disclaimer! When doing anything with your electrical system, you should undo the negative terminal on your battery. Also, no one is responsible but yourself for your messing something up, or hurting someone or you.

Tools needed:
-RSX wheel with airbag
-Large socket wrench with 14mm socket
-Socket or screw driver with a T-30 Torx bit
-Small flat head screw driver
-Optional but recommended: You can rent a special tool from places like autozone, for free, to remove the wheel from the steering column. This tool is not necessary, I didn't use one, and I will describe the alternative later on.

On to removing your old wheel. Make sure it is centered before doing this, it does not need to be locked.
4c64a9f7-aa0d-95ba.jpg

First off, you'll see three panels.

4c64a9f7-a9fc-0fac.jpg

There is an identical one on the other side.

4c64a9f7-aa38-9fe1.jpg

After removing these, it should look like this.
4c64a9f7-aa69-027c.jpg

4c64a9f7-aa77-7eb2.jpg

Unplug the airbag harness (yellow) by sliding back the cover that is on the harness, and pulling them apart. Also, unplug the horn (black) (this is simply a grounding wire, that's all a horn needs).

Next remove the Torx screws from the two side. Keep these, you will need them for the RSX wheel. Then gently pull back, and the airbag should come free.
4c64a9f7-ab3e-bfb1.jpg

Unplug the cruise control harness.

Now this is where you may want that special tool. If you do not. Follow these instructions. Use your 14mm socket with a large wrench. Put it on the nut, hold onto the wheel, and smack the wrench with some force. Mine came undone with like three good smacks but your could be tighter. Then back the nut off a little, but not all the way. Next, grasp the wheel firmly. And pull back while also swinging side to side slightly. The way I just said it makes it sound easy, but it may take you a bit. You aren't hurting anything by doing it. Once it finally comes loose, the nut will stop it from yanking off and wrecking the rotating collar. Take off the nut, and remove the wheel, being mindfull of the rotating collar and its wires. You'll be left with this.
4c64a9f7-ac73-eed4.jpg

Now for installing the RSX wheel. First off, the cruise control does not match, at all. I will insert a wiring section in this post once I figure it out and do it. I did not get a picture of this. But its pretty self explanatory. If you look at the horn wire, you'll notice that on the wheel it connects to a prong to serve the purpose of grounding itself when you push the horn. You will need to take this off the prong and put it on the RSX's one, unless your wheel came with the wire. Next you'll put the wheel on the steering column. I forgot to get a picture of this too. But its also simple. Just pull the wires from the rotating collar through the wheel, and slide the wheel onto the column. Obviously making sure that its going on straight. Put the nut back on, grasp the wheel and tighten it back down with your 14mm socket. Next take your airbag and reconnect the yellow harness by sliding the cover on the harness back and putting them together. The harness goes in this part here
4c64a9f7-ae89-de76.jpg

Pull the cruise wire and horn wire through the panel hole where the airbag harness goes.
4c64a9f7-aecd-2a1e.jpg

Put the airbag back in its place, reconnect the horns ground, which you should have pull though the panel, and push the horn to make sure thats all good and working. Then, put the torx screws back into the sides, they don't need to be very tight. Stuff the extra wiring into the panel hole in anyway you can fit them, and put all the panel covers back on. And there ya go.
4c64a9f7-afb8-1b04.jpg

If you were to get a badge, it would come like this:
4c64a9f7-821d-66c3.jpg
4c64a9f7-8226-0af5.jpg
4c64a9f7-8239-e1df.jpg

Shiny back ;)
4c64a9f7-824c-3cbb.jpg

As for putting it on. Take rubbing alcohol or an equivalent, I used hydrogen peroxide and a paper towel, and wipe the Acura logo clean. Next, take off the plastic on the back of the Honda emblem. Line it up and start from the far left, being sure to apply even pressure as it seems this emblem is very prone to bubbling. Use a credit card or a small flat head screw driver or whatever as you move from left to right. This should be self explanatory and prevent bubbling.
Before:
4c64a9f7-8302-91a4.jpg

After:
4c64a9f7-830e-9843.jpg

Cheers and reps appreciated ;)
-Shawn

Last edited:
Reactions: Bax

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Yeah its worth it. Much better feel. Both for touch and steering feedback.

Just gotta get rid of that stupid Acura logo.

dalvy809

Reaction score
Yeah its worth it. Much better feel. Both for touch and steering feedback.

Just gotta get rid of that stupid Acura logo.

Logo lol ... people gonna be like wtf i tought you had a honda

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Snoobly

Reaction score
did you get the cruise working with it?
I only got the "Set" button to work by splicing the wires. It'd be nice to have all of them though

Back