2001 EX Accord 4 to 5 lug Acura TL Swap with 95 legend 2 piston calipers

l1nd3n

Reaction score
-My write-up to go from a 4-lug to 5-lug using the Acura TL (2002 is what I used) with the same chassis.

-Yes it is possible to swap the hubs from the 6 cyl Accord but I lucked out and found a guy that was parting out his TL. I purchased, wheels/tires, knuckle with rotor and calipers from all 4 corners and got the master cylinder with break booster for $520.

-The front rotors went from 10.2" to 11.8", the rear 10.2" to 11.1" . (The 6 cyl accord has 11.1" in front/ 10.2" rear)

-Make sure if you do this that you get the parking break cords to go with the rear brakes. I had to purchase them extra from rock auto because I thought I could reuse my old ones, so I just cut the cords and regretted it.:banghead:

-Also, get the speed sensor/ abs sensors with the set so you don't have to try and remove from your old setup. They stick pretty good.

-When removing the sway bar linkage from the rear knuckles, just unbolt the flange/metal piece from the spindle/knuckle, it is much easier than trying to keep the sway bar endlinks from spinning while taking that nut off.

-I found some 2 piston rybestos reman brake calipers from a 95 Acura legend GS on amazon for around 124 bucks for the set (no core). I took those and used the bracket from the calipers on the TL and had no problem installing them at all. The only down side is if you want them installed properly the bleeder screw will be pointed down. The pistons on the calipers are different sized and the small one needs to clamp first for physics to make since and work properly. One of the best investments I have made was a vacuum bleeder from O'reilly auto, they are f'n awesome. To bleed them I just took them off and angled the screw up and sucked the air out. Done.

-All I have left is the master cylinder and brake booster. I feel like I should install it but not sure if I have to. Any input would be great.

My whole setup with wheels was less than 700 bucks. Not bad.
I have my breaks, flywheel and clutch installed now. About time to move on to the engine. I really don't want to have a turbo but almost seems necessary. I want this to be a track car, not a 1/8 mile rocket. About 250 hp is what I want.

Update 6/6/14- Ok I wanted to give a few more tips and details about this upgrade.
-When I ordered the RL calipers it was a "loaded" set and I did not have any other options, so the bracket and pads came with. SOOoo, naturally I used the pads that they came with so I didn't have to purchase even more stuff to get the job done. I thought all was fine but my car has pulled to the left since I did my 5-lug swap and could not figure out why. Did 4 wheel alignment and figured out the rear brakes were pretty much seized up due to improper maintenance from the doner car. After correcting those problems the issue was better but not gone, so I moved to the front brakes. Turns out that the RL brake pads are too wide for the TL rotor, the edge of the rotor had worn a groove in the top of the pad and was causing some uneven braking. So just last night I installed the EBC "Green Stuff" brake pads designed for the 2000 TL, they fit as per spec. The test drive seems like the problem pulling to the left is gone but more testing is needed.
-Also, I painted the calipers this go around too. I recommend doing it when you first get them so you don't have to remove rust from them first or deal with them being on the car. I will try and get some pics up soon. Less than 10 bucks for the caliper paint from the parts store. Stuck with silver, gotta keep the sleeper look going.

Current:

95 Legend GS calipers:

Pre 5-lug upgrade:

Last edited:

Tphong

Reaction score
Sounds nice. Definitely be into some pictures once you get them figured out.

lashlee

Reaction score
I did a similar write up a while back that is in the DIY section. I didn't grab the master cylinder during my swap but it looked like you grabbed a good deal.

jdm4eva

Reaction score
I got a question. Did your axles fit into the TL spindles?

Please disregard my question. Used my brain did a search and got my answer.

Last edited:

l1nd3n

Reaction score
Yeah the axles fit no problem at all.

Doing an update on this thread too. Figured out an issue with breakpads.

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
How do they feel? I've been sitting on a pair of legend calipers just haven't gotten around to installation. I'm curious how they are working out for you.

l1nd3n

Reaction score
They are an great upgrade. Going from my original 4-lug setup to the TL 5-lug with the RL calipers makes for a lot more stopping power. Its not to touchy either. Normal braking but if I press on it a little harder it stops very quickly. I feel good that I have made my ride safer, especially after overhauling the rear calipers.
Last night I actually upgraded to the EBC "Green Stuff" brake pads. They quote it takes 20ft off your 60-0 stopping. They were about the same price as the ultimax they make so I figured, "why not?" There is more to why I replaced my pads so quickly also. Check out my writeup, I updated it with some more details after a having the setup on there a while.

L

Back