Front Bumper Mod

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I have a 2001 Accord coupe with a non-removable front grill, I always envied the cleaner look of the 'type-r' grill mod that has been available to 98-00 coupe owners.

RI-HG-ACD98TR.jpg

Since my car is in the shop for lip/skirt repainting, I have asked them to cut the front upper and lower grill and insert a generic black mesh grill. See below for a pre and post photoshop render.

May 2013

photo+%252810%2529.JPG

June 2013 (Photoshop Render)

double_type_r_grill.jpg

Now, I know that GrillCraft makes something similar to this, but unfortunately their products stick onto the existing grill so the result is convex, versus concave, and the result is a little too 'Escalade' for my taste.

HON-1131S.jpg

Anyways, I should have an authentic pic with primer this Monday, and a final one a week after that :)

Last edited:

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying to do this just haven't been able to work up the nerve to do the cutting.

kn0x47

Reaction score
i hope you had them cut the cross bar out of the upper grill only cause the removal grill won't fit in that bumper

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying to do this just haven't been able to work up the nerve to do the cutting.

Me too, that's why I went with a bodyshop that's known for custom work.

i hope you had them cut the cross bar out of the upper grill only cause the removal grill won't fit in that bumper

The removable grill was only used as a demo of what the final product should be.
Here's what's being cut

0.jpg

Akingkhan

Reaction score
That looks good but maybe just the upper grill n leave the bottom alone

Narftastic

Reaction score
I think you should leave the bottom part of the bumper alone, but yea this is also been an idea I thought about.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha ... Funny how both of you said the same thing within a minute of each other :)
Actually, it's the bottom one that bothers me more, because the bars are so thin, in my opinion, it just looks unfinished. Hopefully it looks clean

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update, took some pics, they're still working to sand out the top portion of the bottom grill. You can also see the mugen lip molded on.

viewer

viewer

A pic of the rear with the OE lip and OE bottom under spoiler molded on

viewer

Back