Register to remove these ads

View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Points: 3,384, Level: 16 Points: 3,384, Level: 16 Points: 3,384, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Connie is somewhat reliable
Re: What'd you do to your accord today?

Originally Posted by Nam1911a1 View Post
My starter solenoid wasn't getting a 12 volt signal from the ignition. The damn terrible thing went out again after a year. The ignition relay in the fuse/relay box was clicking. But I had no voltage from the block to the solenoid.

So I said *** it I'll bypass it all together. Went to advanced auto parts and got a 20 amp onff switch and a push button starter switch.

Got power from the main alternator fuse to the on/off switch then series it to the push button start. Off the other side of the push button start I routed it to the starter solenoid contact.

Put the key in and turn forward. Flip the switch on. Press the push button start. BAM the engine roars to life. Then flip the switch off to cut power to the push button start. Took a couple hours and a few beers. I was not rushing things. Routing my wires cleanly and zip tying everything nice and neat.
I did this exact thing to my girlfriend's mom's Lancer a few months ago because the module wouldn't send power to the starter.

It's pretty ghetto, but it's a year later and it still works fine, and nobody had to spend hundreds of dollars on a module.

A friend in high school did it with his old B2000 pickup, except he used a "PLAY" button from an old Betamax player.

» Featured Ride
CHECK OUT THIS WEEK'S FEATURED RIDE!