Derek's 2002 Coupe EX (5MT)

phi1542

Reaction score

DBO867

Reaction score
thanks for the link bro! It's gonna be a lot of money to turn this thing into a smog legal swap. Tons of parts and mods to get it to pass. Is it worth the extra 50hp?

The way i see is, your car is a never ending project, so dont let a couple hundreds stop you haha. Im planning to go H sometime in the future. The F23 is too weak of a motor to pull my heavy sedan.

phi1542

Reaction score
The way i see is, your car is a never ending project, so dont let a couple hundreds stop you haha. Im planning to go H sometime in the future. The F23 is too weak of a motor to pull my heavy sedan.
More like a few thousand LOL and I feel it. I came from the V6 6GA which was 200hp and now dropping to 148hp it's depressing and acceleration sucks. It just feels so weak I don't like it haha I really want 300hp and up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DBO867

Reaction score
More like a few thousand LOL and I feel it. I came from the V6 6GA which was 200hp and now dropping to 148hp it's depressing and acceleration sucks. It just feels so weak I don't like it haha I really want 300hp and up.

How much are the H series motor going for where youre at? I can find f20b for around 600, h23a for 700, and h22a for 800 on craigslist from local shops. Unless youre talking about all the parts youre planning to buy for modding, then yes, thousands haha. But damn, talking about swaps makes me wanna save for the motor instead. I was originally gonna save for a drone, but a motor sounds more fun

phi1542

Reaction score
How much are the H series motor going for where youre at? I can find f20b for around 600, h23a for 700, and h22a for 800 on craigslist from local shops. Unless youre talking about all the parts youre planning to buy for modding, then yes, thousands haha. But damn, talking about swaps makes me wanna save for the motor instead. I was originally gonna save for a drone, but a motor sounds more fun
I see the H23A for 800 on Craigslist rn from this local shop. And yeah the labor to swap in the motor and parts needed to make it pass smog in California it would be a few thousand depending how much they charge for labor and tune. A motor swap has been on my mind ever since I picked up my 5 spd last year haha but idk a few thousand dollars for extra 50hp and 10lbs of torque when I can slap on a turbo kit for around the same price or maybe a little more for DOUBLE the horse power or even more than that just doesn't seem worth it. The swap would cost more than the car itself. California emissions is the only road block for me but you live here too so we on the same boat haha

Side question when you wrapped your car did you have to fill in any paint chips?

Last edited:

DBO867

Reaction score
I see the H23A for 800 on Craigslist rn from this local shop. And yeah the labor to swap in the motor and parts needed to make it pass smog in California it would be a few thousand depending how much they charge for labor and tune. A motor swap has been on my mind ever since I picked up my 5 spd last year haha but idk a few thousand dollars for extra 50hp and 10lbs of torque when I can slap on a turbo kit for around the same price or maybe a little more for DOUBLE the horse power or even more than that just doesn't seem worth it. The swap would cost more than the car itself. California emissions is the only road block for me but you live here too so we on the same boat haha

Side question when you wrapped your car did you have to fill in any paint chips?

I see where youre coming from, im not much of a speedchaser but i like a lil power in my cars haha. H23 would be just enough for me to cruise in. As for the wrap, most people will tell you fill in the paint chips with body fillers or bondo and sand it down, but my chips werent big/deep enough to notice under my wrap. Only noticeable thing on my car is this huge dent on my driver door that i wish i wasnt lazy with haha. I didnt worry about it before til people kept pointing it out

phi1542

Reaction score
I see where youre coming from, im not much of a speedchaser but i like a lil power in my cars haha. H23 would be just enough for me to cruise in. As for the wrap, most people will tell you fill in the paint chips with body fillers or bondo and sand it down, but my chips werent big/deep enough to notice under my wrap. Only noticeable thing on my car is this hude dent on my driver door that i wish i wasnt lazy with haha. I didnt worry about it before til people kept pointing it out
Yeah I wouldn't mind the H23 if it was a drop in swap. Because I have to go the extra mile and shell out cash to make sure it can be bared is too much. It's cool though this car will be fine for my college days haha my next car will be turbo for sure. I'm set on the Genesis turbo right now they are so clean especially with a wide body kit!

Oh I see haha just wondering cuz I have a lot of chips and idk if I should fill them in if I wrap the car. Thanks for the info!

DBO867

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't mind the H23 if it was a drop in swap. Because I have to go the extra mile and shell out cash to make sure it can be bared is too much. It's cool though this car will be fine for my college days haha my next car will be turbo for sure. I'm set on the Genesis turbo right now they are so clean especially with a wide body kit!

Oh I see haha just wondering cuz I have a lot of chips and idk if I should fill them in if I wrap the car. Thanks for the info!

It basically is a drop in swap, alot of things can be used from the F23. You can always drive around with it un-bar'd. Atleast til they state ref you, then youre outta luck haha

My friend as well as a wrap shop reccomended i go with avery dennison supreme wrap vinyl for my first time wrapping. Its also one of the top brands along with 3M. The avery wrap was thin enough to stretch but thick enough to not show whats under from the paint or carparts. Honestly to anyone that has never done a wrap job before, they wont notice a thing.

phi1542

Reaction score
It basically is a drop in swap, alot of things can be used from the F23. You can always drive around with it un-bar'd. Atleast til they state ref you, then youre outta luck haha

My friend as well as a wrap shop reccomended i go with avery dennison supreme wrap vinyl for my first time wrapping. Its also one of the top brands along with 3M. The avery wrap was thin enough to stretch but thick enough to not show whats under from the paint or carparts. Honestly to anyone that has never done a wrap job before, they wont notice a thing.
You can get it smogged without being bar'd?

Back