Register to remove these ads

View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Points: 2,310, Level: 13 Points: 2,310, Level: 13 Points: 2,310, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Rusty Accord is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lost brakes on freeway, WOOOOWZA

Originally Posted by diegoaccord View Post
So yeah, the other day I'm coming home from work, and there was construction going on, taking the lanes from 3 to 2, pretty abruptly and a lot of people were trying to stop and move over with short notice.

I was one of these people, and as I was doing so, applying decent pedal, I heard the pop, and felt it go to the floor, giving me no brakes. I had to maneuver back to the lane that was closed and had a mobile sign, and my pass mirror tapped this X3, and I made it between the sign and the SUV.

Luckily there was no damage, other than paint rub on his taillight, my mirror had folded in, and I noticed that the glass was not secure anymore. So, nothing was done on that front. Hopefully it pops into place. If I had a 98 with the non folding mirrors, I would be out of a mirror or replacing the guys taillight. Overall this could've been much worse, a few more MPH, or a few more MM differences on either side could've been a total.

That said, I drove it home without brakes, I've have a Honda do this before, so I knew I could make it. Never paying a tow on a car that moves under it's own power.

Also the car has 290K, and you can tell the whole uprights are tired as hell. Aside from brake lines, I need brakes themselves, bushings, shocks, tires. I was hoping this car would go through winter problem-free, so I could focus a little on my Mustang or Evo, but that's not going to happen, and if I have to do brake lines, I might as well do everything thats under the car as well, since it's all very tired. That also means this will be getting lowered as well.
I'm guessing you had a front line let go. I only say that as they (the fronts) do most of the work.

» Featured Ride
CHECK OUT THIS WEEK'S FEATURED RIDE!